• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny sometimes tilts head to side

margarita

Young Bun
Hello,

I have an 11 month old Holland Lop and noticed about two months ago she shake her head occasionally. I brought her to her vet (who is rabbit savvy) and he gave her a good exam and said she is fine just has a very small amount of wax that is lose so that may be why she is shaking her head. I also noticed that she would tilt her head sometimes to one side (especially when she is standing on the stairs). I automatically though head tilt but it doesn’t stay that way and she is perfectly fine otherwise, eating normal, drinking, pooping, and jumping and playing. Is this something that rabbits do sometimes? Tilt their head slightly to the side while standing? The vet said that they could an x-ray but he didn’t see a need for it because she is fine and did not want to put a healthy rabbit under unless he thought she was sick.
I am worried that this is the onset of head tilt or something worse. She is fine and doesn’t have the tilt all day every day, but I do notice when she is standing sometimes shell tilt her head. Please tell me if this is normal bunny behavior?

Thank you :)

Thank you for the reply. I have been on every website regarding head tilt. She is not that severe and it is not all the time that is why I’m not sure if this is just regular rabbit behavior. It’s a slight tilt to the side while she stands on the stairs.

The websites don’t seem to give information on how long it takes for head tilt to set in? and if the head is tilted all the time and doesn’t go away or just tiled sometimes?

Any information is helpful thanks.

Thank you for the reply. I have been on every website regarding head tilt. She is not that severe and it is not all the time that is why I’m not sure if this is just regular rabbit behavior. It’s a slight tilt to the side while she stands on the stairs.

The websites don’t seem to give information on how long it takes for head tilt to set in? and if the head is tilted all the time and doesn’t go away or just tiled sometimes?

Any information is helpful thanks.

ohh.. i will say i have seen some photos of buns with their head tilted.. i think its just something that buns occasionally do haha

The only thing I could think of would be ear ache. My old bun used to tip his head when he had earache

Thank you for all the replys. since she was just at the vet and he checked her teeth and ears i am assuming its just her odd behavior sometimes :). If i notice and other odd symptoms then i will bring her back and see what he says.

Thanks you :)

A head tilt is usually a sign of either an ear infection or EC. If it is just occasional I would be inclined to think ear infection, especially with head shaking too. The vet may not be able to see the infection as it may be deep within the ear. If I were you I would be asking for antibiotics to clear it up :wave:

I am going to keep track of how often she does it and call the vet and see what thinks. She was just there for the same concern. May need to do xrays to see but id rather not put her through the stress of going under. :(

Does anyone know how long its take before it is a serious condition? is this something that happens rapidly or very slowly?

Thanks

Like I said, head shaking and tilting the head are both signs of ear infection, so I can't understand why your vet isn't treating for that? It can become very serious if left untreated, and may lead to a permanent head tilt like my Olly has (he was seen by an incompetent vet at the time :() or even worse, it can spread to the brain. I don't want to frighten you but that can happen, I would find a different vet I think :wave: your bun might only need some antibiotic ear drops and that could save a lot of problems later on. X

Margarita update: just got back from the vet And her ears were red inside. He gave me some drops and said she will be just fine. Thank you for All your help.

:D:)

Last edited:
Back