• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed - hind leg weakness - update on Post 35 please

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Hi, not posted on here for ages - apologies.

I really need to know experiences of people who have had hind leg weakness in their bun. My conti has always had weak rear limbs due to confinement to a small hutch before he was rescued. In recent weeks he had degenerated rapidly and lost weight. He is now leaving cecals and 'cow pat' type poos as well as golden healthy ones. He is unable to get in his litter tray and is not willing to move around and is very unstable particularly on one back leg.

My vet has ruled out injury through physical exam and noted more muscle wasted on the side of the weaker leg. He is on daily metacam and on his third day of a Panacur course. He is an outdoor bunny living in a large shed, I now leave the door to his run open in the day (he can no longer use the cat flap) and keep him in at night. His partner lives next door, they love each other but cannot be together due to past fights.

I have been advised to try an antibiotic also and am going to get some glucosamine and coneflower and coltsfoot.

My vet wants to have him in for the day and do blood tests to test for kidney problems and an x ray - is this advisable given his state? If it is EC the stress will make him worse surely?

Can anyone share any experiences please? Is there anything I have missed? What more can I do for him?

I do have the option of a place at a sanctuary where he will be kept in doors with the best care possible, but he is one of my babies and it would break my heart for him to go :cry:

Any advice please? xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suspect spinal arthritis/degenerative disc disease. It would be helpful for him to have some diagnostics. The Vet may be able to do the Xray with light sedation rather than a GA.

Thank you Jane for replying. I was hoping you would. I have just come off the phone to my vet. He is going to do some research and come back to me in an hour.

He mentioned that if it was a disc or tumor problem these would not show on an X ray. Also we discussed if a spinal problem such as spondylosis was diagnosed then would the treatment be any different than it is now?

I'm stressing so much at the mo, he has said that if it gets to a point he cant walk then PTS is the best for him :cry::cry:

Hes only been on Panacur for 3 days so he has time for that to work if it is EC, however as you know impossible to diagnose!

Cant be sure, I have had him since April 2011 the person who had him before said he was 2 but she cant be relied on :?

Cant be sure, I have had him since April 2011 the person who had him before said he was 2 but she cant be relied on :?

I would suspect that arthritis may well be an issue then. If he has become less mobile then he will loose muscle tone/mass. So some physiotherapy may be very beneficial to try to maintain circulation and to retain what muscle he has remaining. Acupuncture can be very helpful too.

Whilst muscle wastage can be a sign of kidney failure there are usually other symptoms too-namely drinking a lot and passing copious amounts of wee. There may be urinary incontinence too.

Would he be able to move indoors ? Not having to use up calorific energy in keeping warm would help him maintain his weight. But maybe he is a Rabbit who would not cope indoors. In which case it would be counter-productive.

Thanks, I spoke to my vet about acupuncture and he said it could help with pain. He doesn't seem to be in pain as he is eating and drinking normally. I will ask about the physio, but would think and x ray would have to be done before this is carried out to avoid further damage.

He has always drunk a lot of water, but he is a big bun. Might be worth having the tests and x ray. I just don't want to compromise his health by stressing him if it is EC but then I dint want to wait 28 days before finding out.

I could bring him into the conservatory, would have to block it all off securely as this is Lucky dog's route to the garden but its possible. I wonder how this might upset him though as this morning when I opened his shed door he went straight to the aviary divide to see Giselle. Such a hard call on what is best way forward.

Jane, what is your view on adding an antibiotic to his treatment? Baytril, Marbacil or Septrin? Would this aid and EC related recovery?

Jane, what is your view on adding an antibiotic to his treatment? Baytril, Marbacil or Septrin? Would this aid and EC related recovery?

Antibiotics wont treat EC, but if the Vet thinks there is a bacterial infection going on too then maybe that is why he is suggesting it

Which antibiotic to use depends on what type of infection the Rabbit has. Both Baytril and Marbocyl are in the same family of antibiotics and they cover a broad spectrum of bacteria. But as I say, neither they nor Septrin would have any direct impact on EC.

The Vet may be covering all bases and treating for bacterial infection/inflammation/EC. But if the problem is 'structural' as opposed to a systemic disease then the only medication that would be likely to be of benefit would be the anti-inflammatory (Metacam).

No, my vet said no point in giving the antibiotics, but I have been reading of others that have had success using Baytril with Oxibendazole. I'm clutching at straws... he is on Metacam. 1ml per day he is 5.5kg

No, my vet said no point in giving the antibiotics, but I have been reading of others that have had success using Baytril with Oxibendazole. I'm clutching at straws... he is on Metacam. 1ml per day he is 5.5kg

Baytril would only address secondary bacterial infection, not the actual issue of 'active' EC. Oxibendazole is similar to Panacur (Fenbendizole)

He is actually on a relatively low dose of Metacam for his weight. Rabbit savvy Vets often prescribe higher dose rates as Rabbits metabolise metacam and excrete it more rapidly than cats or dogs. In some circumstances Vets will prescribe up to 0.6mg/kg TWICE a day. This would no doubt be for the minimum time possible and the dose would gradually be reduced until a therapeutic maintenance dose was established

If you are giving the DOG Metacam the high dose rate I refer to above would equate to 2.2ml twice a day. BUT any dose change can only be done if the Vet treating the specific Rabbit says so. I am just highlighting the fact that you may want to discuss the Metacam dose with the Vet.

Thank you, and thanks for your advice on the metacam dose, I will discuss it with Marie tomorrow and maybe just keep him on the same for tonight x

Hi

Just come on to give an update. JAsper has been kept in over night so that Marie can run some tests in the morning. He will have x rays and a rabbit profile blood test along with the E cuniculi anti body tests and a toxoplasma test.

Marie was lovely, I know my boy is in safe hands, I,m just tearing myself apart with what if's :(

X ray results will be back tomorrow and will have to wait for bloods and others.

Hi

Just come on to give an update. JAsper has been kept in over night so that Marie can run some tests in the morning. He will have x rays and a rabbit profile blood test along with the E cuniculi anti body tests and a toxoplasma test.

Marie was lovely, I know my boy is in safe hands, I,m just tearing myself apart with what if's :(

X ray results will be back tomorrow and will have to wait for bloods and others.

Sending millions of vibes for your special boy. I am 100% certain that Marie will do everything possible to try to help him xx

I am so glad for you and him that he is in such safe hands. I hope there is positive news tomorrow.

Hi

Big vibes winging their way to you both - Jasper's in the best possible hands x

Back