• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange behaviour when eating

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I don't know if this is just me over thinking things, I do usually over worry a lot!! :oops: But Boris has always been a very greedy bun, loves food and especially his pellets. Anyway a couple of months ago he had a choking episode, after that it was discovered he has mild snuffles which would make him more susciptible to this. Anyway since he's been fine, but when I open my wardrobe to get his pellets tub out he goes mad and runs around in circles until the pellets are put in his bowl and he eats them fairly slowly now but recently he'll take one and eat it, but whilst he's eating it he runs around in circles like he does before I give him them and will eat some but then run around as if looking for them then he'll go past his bowl and be like ooh I have more! But then again he'll eat a few and hop off and seem to forget they're there, like tonight he's left some and gone in his tray to eat hay like he'd usually do when they're all eaten. I tapped the bowl and straight away he jumped out and ate some but then was running round me and jumping at me like he'd finished/forgotten there's still some in the bowl!! Just a tad confused about his behaviour really, sorry I probably haven't explained it very well!! :oops:

It's understandable for you to be worrying, when he has had a choking episode. I worry Spenser might choke because he has become a very greedy boy. :oops: You'd think I starved him the way he falls on his pellets. :roll: This morning I only just withdrew my fingers in time when filling his bowl! :shock: Are you saying Boris actually runs around while eating a pellet, not just in between pellets?

It's understandable for you to be worrying, when he has had a choking episode. I worry Spenser might choke because he has become a very greedy boy. :oops: You'd think I starved him the way he falls on his pellets. :roll: This morning I only just withdrew my fingers in time when filling his bowl! :shock: Are you saying Boris actually runs around while eating a pellet, not just in between pellets?

Bless him, my bunnies are the same! Although B&G aren't so bad, they don't rush and take turns to put their heads in the bowl, very sensible bunnies! I'm not entirely sure, re the bolded bit, I think he is still chewing a pellet or has just finished some sometimes.

Does Boris have snuffles?

ETA. D'oh should learn to read properly. Nutmeg eats quite slow and will pause between them and run off with them. Mischa used to eat slow too. My vet has told me in the past they tend to loose weight when their snuffles flares up because eating is a bit harder when their breathing is iffy.

Does Boris have snuffles?

ETA. D'oh should learn to read properly. Nutmeg eats quite slow and will pause between them and run off with them. Mischa used to eat slow too. My vet has told me in the past they tend to loose weight when their snuffles flares up because eating is a bit harder when their breathing is iffy.

Oh, thinking he has lost weight. He's a belgain hare though so although to me he seems skinny the vet has weighed him and said he is ok for what hares should be, guess I am used to Beano and Gordon who are more chunky rabbits but I do think he has lost a bit recently so I did up the pellets. Thankyou for your reply, bless him is there anything that could be done to help him eat a bit easier?? Maybe I should feed pellets one by one or just a few at a time so he doesn't feel the need to rush the whole bowl down?

Oh, thinking he has lost weight. He's a belgain hare though so although to me he seems skinny the vet has weighed him and said he is ok for what hares should be, guess I am used to Beano and Gordon who are more chunky rabbits but I do think he has lost a bit recently so I did up the pellets. Thankyou for your reply, bless him is there anything that could be done to help him eat a bit easier?? Maybe I should feed pellets one by one or just a few at a time so he doesn't feel the need to rush the whole bowl down?

That might help. I used to do this with Nutmeg as otherwise she'd spend all the time running around and not much time eating pellets!! At the moment I'm feeding her one side of the bed and the other two the other side and she doesn't run around quite as much but I might go back to hand feeding. It was quite nice, we bonded over food :lol:

Bandit goes mad over food. I have never had such a greedy bun. He chases away Cutie-pie, runs in circles, drops food and then picks it up again. Its like he insane for a few minutes.

I don't really know, as I had never experienced this before Bandit. Cutie-pie has learnt to stay out of his way. I rarely feed him crunchies now, he goes berserk. Your description sounds very similiar.

That might help. I used to do this with Nutmeg as otherwise she'd spend all the time running around and not much time eating pellets!! At the moment I'm feeding her one side of the bed and the other two the other side and she doesn't run around quite as much but I might go back to hand feeding. It was quite nice, we bonded over food :lol:

Thanks, aww :lol:

Bandit goes mad over food. I have never had such a greedy bun. He chases away Cutie-pie, runs in circles, drops food and then picks it up again. Its like he insane for a few minutes.

I don't really know, as I had never experienced this before Bandit. Cutie-pie has learnt to stay out of his way. I rarely feed him crunchies now, he goes berserk. Your description sounds very similiar.

These bunnies, they are odd!! I am going to try feeding less at a time/individually although I know this is easier with a single bun than a pair.

Is Boris bonded? Apologies, I forget these things :oops:

No he is not, I daren't risk a trio as I could never forgive myself if Beano and Gordon fell out and one of them became a single or was left out. I don't think Beano would tolerate another bun and Gordon is fairly quiet and sometimes likes to be his own and Beano doesn't mind this either whereas Boris is very energetic and is always wanted attention I wouldn't want to stress Gordon out, or Beano as they are a lot more laid back. Boris also loves being free range in my room and all the attention, he jumps on my bed every night and grooms me and sleeps at the side of me, I'm sure he thinks he's a dog :lol: I do intend to get him a wife bun though, but my life isn't stable enough atm.

No he is not, I daren't risk a trio as I could never forgive myself if Beano and Gordon fell out and one of them became a single or was left out. I don't think Beano would tolerate another bun and Gordon is fairly quiet and sometimes likes to be his own and Beano doesn't mind this either whereas Boris is very energetic and is always wanted attention I wouldn't want to stress Gordon out, or Beano as they are a lot more laid back. Boris also loves being free range in my room and all the attention, he jumps on my bed every night and grooms me and sleeps at the side of me, I'm sure he thinks he's a dog :lol: I do intend to get him a wife bun though, but my life isn't stable enough atm.

Ah I was just checking because I've found if I put a pile down for the buns not involved and sit down with pellets Nutmeg will often come over and sit by me or on my lap and the other ignore her.

Back