• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help? Anyone?

jazxo

Mama Doe
No one replied to my last thread (here:http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?370058-Soft-stools&highlight=soft+stools), might be because it was too lengthy but I really need your opinions.

Basically, Pippin has suddenly had very soft stools all day but now they're getting a bit better but no where near normal.
I've not given her the usual pellets she has tonight just lots of hay, nothing else.

In the morning if they're still the same should I give her the normal amount of pellets she has or just leave her on hay only until they're back to normal?

Assuming she is otherwise 'well within herself' I'd keep her on just hay and water for 48 hours. You could give her some Fibreplex

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protexin-fibreplex-for-rabbits-15ml-syringe.html

If the problem has not resolved in the next 24 hours or if she seems quiet or behaving differently to normal then you need to get your Vet to see her.

Yeah she's perfectly fine within herself. I wanted to get some fibreplex but couldn't find it anywhere local and it'd take a while to come if I bought it online etc. I did put some pro c in her water though and she's drank a fair bit of that.

Thank you, I will do.

Approx. half an eggcup in the morning and half in the evening.

Well, that sounds about right, then.
Jane has given good advice (as always) - I must admit I always err on the side of caution and make an appointment with the vet if I feel uneasy about changes.

Well, that sounds about right, then.
Jane has given good advice (as always) - I must admit I always err on the side of caution and make an appointment with the vet if I feel uneasy about changes.

Sorry what's err? I agree, I most certainly will if this hasn't gone away tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Sorry what's err? I agree, I most certainly will if this hasn't gone away tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

To err on the side of caution is a saying, it means not to take any risks basically :)

Hope Pippin is feeling better soon!

just a note - I believe Pro C has a fair bit of sugar in it, so may be best to stick to hay only for now, just in case.

I think Pippin's problem is sounding a lot like my Josie's problem when she first arrived. It was veg with Josie though that she couldn't tolerate. I kept her on a hay only diet for a long time. She could have forage as well, so brambles, hawthorn etc. When she started back on the pellets I switched to SS, as I think Excel was part of the problem.

I would try Pippin on a natural diet, so stick to things a wildie would eat. (Thumps and Rabbit Nutrition would be the best people to advise.)

Try Vet UK for the Fibreplex, they're usually next day delivery when I've used them xx

I think Pippin's problem is sounding a lot like my Josie's problem when she first arrived. It was veg with Josie though that she couldn't tolerate. I kept her on a hay only diet for a long time. She could have forage as well, so brambles, hawthorn etc. When she started back on the pellets I switched to SS, as I think Excel was part of the problem.

I would try Pippin on a natural diet, so stick to things a wildie would eat. (Thumps and Rabbit Nutrition would be the best people to advise.)

Try Vet UK for the Fibreplex, they're usually next day delivery when I've used them xx

She's improved loads this morning. Normal poos since 8. Pippin only has a very small amount of pellets, lots of hay and forage. No veg.

Back