• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Soft stools

jazxo

Mama Doe
Pippin is producing soft stools and I'm obviously worried.

Last night she was perfectly fine, tucked up with her snugglesafe and fresh hay. This morning she had wrecked her hutch which she rarely does but seemed fine other than that and was keen for her pellets as usual. Gave her the pellets, let her eat them then shut off the hutch while she was in the run so I could clean the hutch out.

While cleaning her out I noticed her poos were fine from last night etc but while I was cleaning her out she did two very big soft stools, with no shape just like a dollop of poo in her run, she always goes in her hutch never ever in her run so it must have been because I was cleaning her out. After that it started to rain and she went up to her hutch and ate hay for ages. When it stopped and she went down I checked the hutch and she had done one more of these poos. I gave her some bramble leaves and she was really really keen for those too. After she ate those she had a big drink and went to sleep in her run. Then she ate some more hay, then groomed herself for ages then went back to sleep. Then woke up and went for more poos, they were a mix of good ones and bad ones. Then she went back to sleep, woke up and did these awful ones:
DSCN4327.jpg

She's now asleep again. Tonight should I give her her normal amount of pellets or absolutely no pellets? Or should I give her more bramble leaves?
Any suggestions welcome.

She's eaten a load more hay and her poos are a little bit weird but pretty normal. Well formed and golden and a few soft ones but I think she's on the mend. Not out of the woods yet though :(

How is Pippin doing now?

I am having similar issues just now, seems to happen when their gut is a bit upset for whatever reason. I have ordered some bramble leaves in the hope that they help...have you tried that?

She's bad. Vets today. Absolutely dreading it, no idea what it could be. Her stools are usually absolutely perfect, so worried about her :( Glad she's still munching hay though. Wish me luck.

Pippin

Oh my gosh I am so sorry :(

Loads of luck for later, really hope it goes ok at the vets and that they can help...what time are you going?

x

Thank you very much. I'm going at 12:20. She's okay in herself at the moment but earlier she was sluggish and just sat in my arms like a baby :( She is the first rabbit I've had that I'm doing everything right for and it keeps going wrong :(

Sending positive vibes for 1230...let us know if you can how it goes.

Sure the vet will be able to help and it sounds like she is baring up despite everything xxx

Sending positive vibes for 1230...let us know if you can how it goes.

Sure the vet will be able to help and it sounds like she is baring up despite everything xxx

Thank you, I will do.
I have the best vet of the surgery today so hopefully he will be able to get to the bottom of it. Thanks again x

Back from the vets. He said he could feel absolutely no sign or blockage or bloating. She has lost a little bit of weight but nothing to worry about because it's a perfect weight for her age etc. He was very impressed with her diet and see's no reason that she is producing these stools. Her teeth were perfect, body condition perfect. Prescribed Fibreplex and said I should resume to normal very small amount of pellets. If she isn't better by friday I'll have to take her in again. He was really helpful and I'm pretty confident he knew what he was doing. Much better than my usual vet. Can't believe I just spent the amount of money I did just for some Fibreplex though! :roll:

Thanks for all of the well wishes guys, lets hope whatever is bugging my bun sorts itself out!

That's good news! Glad it's nothing serious...

There's nothing different that you've given her/nothing changed in her diet?

Hope things clear up soon :)

That's good news! Glad it's nothing serious...

There's nothing different that you've given her/nothing changed in her diet?

Hope things clear up soon :)

Absolutely nothing. The night before her poos were completely normal.

Thank you I really do too x

Back