• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice - Should I split?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
:wave:

Since Baby Pearl sadly left us for the bridge this weekend I'm in a conundrum. I now have a trio (m/f/f) and one single buck Archie. Archie loves the ladies and well happily live with any. He has had three partners in his life but all sadly have left us for the bridge. He HATES males. He will not tolerate them and has partially castrated a male in his time.

I then have a lovely trio who are all loved up. I know in my heart of hearts that there is no chance that Archie will tolerate Albie. We've tried before to bond him with bucks and it just isn't going to happen.

Financially I really can't justify taking on another rabbit. Would it be cruel to separate one of the females from the trio and bond her with Archie? Or is it better for Archie to live alone?

Any ideas?

I certainly wouldnt split an existing trio if they are happy together.

Would it be possible for an experienced bonder to try for a quad?

Elena has just bonded a trio with 2 females who we thought would NEVER get on and they now do :love:

Is there 1 in the trio who is quiet/ignored etc? If they're loved up and happy I wouldn't split but if there was 1 bun just rubbing along I might be tempted too

I certainly wouldnt split an existing trio if they are happy together.

Would it be possible for an experienced bonder to try for a quad?

Elena has just bonded a trio with 2 females who we thought would NEVER get on and they now do :love:

;)

I would try with a quad first too. I split a trio and regretted it.

I really dont envy you, this is a hard decision but only you can see what is the right thing to do by watching them. I know your pain just having one bun by himself, especially when its this cold. I wish you the very best of luck, whatever you decide

Is there 1 in the trio who is quiet/ignored etc? If they're loved up and happy I wouldn't split but if there was 1 bun just rubbing along I might be tempted too

This is what I would consider too. If your single boy hates other males I would be wary about a quad.

That's what prompted me to split my three but in retrospect it was a bad idea. Nutmeg will always be a bit out of the group initially because she takes a long time to trust and integrate herself. As the months past by she gets more comfortable with the other rabbit(s). When I split her from the lops I jumped the gun, I should've given her longer to settle.

Are the girls spayed? I've got it in my head that you said it hasn't been done yet, in which case I wouldn't want to try two bucks in a group of four, given the rest of the history with Archie. (But I have don't have a lot of experience in this field just another consideration that could change the decision).

Back