• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

is there such a thing as healthy urine color?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
is there such a thing as healthy urine color? i.e., do they have to be the milky orange color to be healthy? If so, does all the urine in the 24 hr. period every day has to be that color?

what if sometimes the color is clear?

Rabbit wee can come in all sorts of colours, depends on what they eat. I've noticed that sometimes it even changes colour while it's exposed to the air. As long as it's not overly cloudy or bitty which I believe can initiate excessive calcium.

what does "bitty' means?

If you run your fingers through the wee and it feels gritty. The wee usually looks 'chalky' and it is a sign of a problem with calcium build up

Very clear wee passed all the time and in large amounts can be indicative of a kidney problem

That's my concern as well, because I have seen just that back in 2005 w/ my bridge bun Little Happy. Around Sep. 2012, the water cup has been consumed by either 1 or both buns in a higher than normal volume. On average, I never notice neither buns drink water. In the past mth., I notice both of them drinks water about twice a day.

But w/ Bobby, it just so happened that in an unrelated chat w/ the vet, that he said there is not enough Oxbow given to the buns, so I increase the amt. of Oxbow. And the increase in water consumption starts shortly after. And there are a lot more bunny poos from Bobby, and their size is bigger too, and he is eating much more hay as well. So needless to say, the more he eats, the more he drinks. I also increase the room temp. in the house by 1 deg. C

So I dropped the idea of a blood test on his kidney. But I now notice his urine is clear, so that in conjunction w/ the higher than normal water consumption, I'm now leaning on kidney problem. Although the other symptoms of kidney failure does not occur:

weight loss, signs of pain, peeing excessively or straining when going to the toilet.

Anyhoo, Jane, you have seen more cases than I have, what's the average outcome for most buns? Assuming this is chronic kidney failure? I'll get him to a vet, but for long term care, I would be interested in some alternative care solution in his diet, any food that can improve kidney function for e.g.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/326487-alternative-supplements-for-moderate-kidney-disease/

rhubarb can significantly improve your uremic indices, or the amount of urea in your blood, which may be a sign of successful kidney disease treatment.

I just start doing my alternative care medicine treatment and come across this, has any1 try it? The veggie is meant for human, but it's good enough for me

Also, if only 1 kidney fails chronically, can my bun still live a normal life span?

Back