• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Ollie :(

DebbieLouise

Young Bun
Calling the vet the minute they open...Ollie has showed no signs of being poorly hes been eating/drinking and bouncing around, yesterday morning i gave him his fresh water and some hay went out and when i got home in the late evening i went to see him and he had done a massive poo but it was like tar looking if that makes sense, wasn't completely water but far from normal, last night he didn't eat his pellets and now im really panicking :cry:

I haven't changed his diet at all and i know he hasn't gotten hold of anything, the only difference is iv moved his cage off the floor onto a table.

Sounds like a ceacal maybe the change of position of his cage caused him a bit of stress but I'm no expert.
Hope is back to his normal self soon.

Ollie has been given the all clear the vet also said he thinks something just scared him while i was out as it was just the one poo :D hes perked up loads during the day and is happily nibbling his dinner:love:

Im now up at stupid o'clock as my mind is running wild .... Ollie still hasnt eaten many pellets, hasnt touched his hay (hes not a big fan anyway) and he still has a full water bottle, i last filled it yesterday dinner time :cry: i know they shouldnt have alot of carrot but it put a small one in for him last night he ate almost all of it but he still doesnt seem himself ... Iv moved him back onto the floor just and im hoping he goes back to his normal self ...

This might sound really stupid but could it be down to him missing the house rabbit?? As he has always lived on the floor and she runs free he made quite good friends with her (he is the only rabbit she likes) they use to rub noses ect and share hay through the bars on his cage. Could it simply be down to the fact i moved him away from her, as the vet did a full MOT sort of thing on him and said he is in super health

Ollie didn't pick up at all he sat in the back of his cage and refused to move, i took him back to the vets who ran immediate blood tests ect and everything came back clear, which of course i was pleased about but it still didn't tell us why my poor bun wasn't eating or drinking, the last time he has eaten was Saturday night and he as drank the tiniest amount, he has the largest water bottle and im lucking if that lasts 2 days normally, he has also lost weight very quick :( so yesterday i moved him out of the dining room and into my bedroom where it was warmed and i gave him warm water in a syringe until he didn't want anymore, what threw me was he was happy to have it, i also put a few pellets in his mouth one at a time and he ate them perfect-ally, so my question was why isn't he doing it voluntarily but thankfully last night at midnight Ollie woke me up drinking from his water bottle :D he drank quite a lot aswel so at 4am i gave him 20pellets and when i woke up again at 7.30 there was only a few left and the ones missing are not in his cage :thumb:

I also started giving him little 5 minute tummy rubs yesterday which he seems rather happy with so lets hope he is on the mend:)

Thank goodness he has got such a loving owner as yourself. Bunnies are such delicate creatures though and often we have no idea what has upset them, but it's great that he really seems to be picking up now, and sure if you keep doing what you are he will soon be eating for himself more. My bunny, Roger, used to get upset by things and go on hungar strike as I called it, but as soon as I started making a really big fuss of him and he was getting the attention he craved so much, he would be fine. One day I woke up late and fed Roger etc before going to work, but when I got home none of his food, veg anything had been touched, and he was just sat in the corner of the lounge with his back to me, and judging by the droppings had been there all day. Was just going to phone the vets when my daughter came in and said 'what's he sulking about now?', and for some reason made me instantly remember that Roger hadn't had his usual 20mins cuddle in the morning while I drank my coffee before going to work. Went and made a coffee, picked Roger up and gave him a great big love for about half an hour, put him back down and he went straight over to his food, ate loads and then stretched out on his duvet, happy as larry, nothing wrong with him at all. Bunnies ay lol

Back