• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dizzi & Rascals feetsies

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Hi all

I've just been grooming the bunnies and noticed that they both had small red lumps on their feet (at the back, like where our heel is) with white dry skin on. They didn't seem to be sore when I touched them (neither bunny look uncomfortable) but I just wondered if anyone has seen this type of thing before.

2012-12-02155822.jpg

2012-12-02155510.jpg

Does anyone know what it is and do I need to get them to the vet?? They're running and binkying around as normal but I'm really concerned now.

They do have a lot of carpet in their run (all their ramps have it on and the hutch floor has it) could this be causing it?

Thanks

Jo x

I used to worry about this, thinking it was sore hocks, but apparently most adult rabbits have those on their feet. Its just like hard skin i think, you only need to worry if it starts to look sore or is causing them a problem. All my buns have them :wave:

they look ok not red and inflamed. I would ensure that the area they sleep in is soft and padded to take the pressure of their hocks. An under bed box filled with hay or vet bed works well. you wil probably find as they age their hocks will need a little tlc some sudocreme or vaseline. Best to check them weekly and monitor

Phewwww that's a relief, thanks guys. Had an awful feeling it was something painful for them that I'd missed!!

In the hutch they have carpet on the floor, they have a big litter tray full of hay (that they use generally to chill in not to poop in - they use the litter tray in the run for actual 'toilet action') and they have fleecies on top of the carpet where they sleep in the day and where they eat/drink.

In the run all their ramps are covered in carpet, the floor is concrete but is currently covered with a layer of hay (for insulation) and they have fleecies in the two places where they tend to hang out and snooze.

I'll keep an eye on them and if they become red or inflamed I'll take them to the vet.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks :D x

Poppy had something similar for about a week so we started to put a blanket over the carpet in the bedroom and it was fine after that :) I think when she was running she was rubbing her feet but a few days after we had the blanket down the fur was growing back over.

Thanks ............ I'll see if there's anything we can stick over the carpet on the ramps (something slip-proof) as they bomb up and down them like proper giddy kippers!!

Callouses. Biscuit has one on each paw.

They tend to show more during/after a moult from what i can tell.

As long as they dont become very red and sore, perfectly normal :)

Good to see you around Jo :)

Back