• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent baby pearl has head tilt. Update - She hasn't made it.

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
I just went outside, she's lay on her side with her head at 90 degree angel, mouth breathing and not moving. Poor Archie doesn't know what's going on.

What do I need to do? I've never had this before. When I go vets what should I expect? The exotic specialit isn't open so it'll be a non savy vet.

Could any of this be related to peaches pig who collapsed last week?

Last edited:
It sounds as though it may be an acute onset of infection effecting both her central nervous system and her lungs

Mouth breathing is a very poor prognostic sign :cry:

I would expect the Vet to admit her for intensive care- ie to first get her stabalised on fluids/oxygen/non-steroidal anti-inflammatory/antibiotics

Once stable the Vet will need to start diagnostics- Bloods/skull radiographs/chest radiographs

Vet may also want to start her on Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole)

I would make your way there straight away

Sending vibes for her xx

I agree with all of the above. Vets urgently though as is definately an emergency situation. If you are worried about the vet who will be treating her, then phone the rabbit welfare association and they will be able to tell you who is a rabbit savvy vet in your area. Am praying for you both x

She's had chronic snuffles for over a year as well, so I presume her lungs will have scarring and a weekend immune system?

On the way to the vets now.

The vets just called, Baby Pearl has passed away. I can't cope with this, first Peaches piggy and now Pearl. I don't understand what happened bar her snuffles which I thought we were managing she was fine. She was fine this morning.

Poor Archie is on his own now. :cry:

So sorry Binky little girly such a sad time :cry::cry:

e57dbd7b.jpg

I am so so sorry, but you did everything you could for her, and sometimes with the best will in the world it is just their time to go to the bridge. I am so upset for you as I just can't get over loosing Roger, and it is so awful that you have now lost your baby. Maybe you should bring Archie in so that you can comfort each other. When you feel up to it, I am sure the vet will be able to explain what went wrong. This is terrible news, but at least baby Pearl is now binkying at the bridge and Roger will look after her. Really am very sad for you x

Oh my....... I'm SO sorry it's SO hard to lose a loved one. Binky free. Hope she finds friends at the rainbow bridge.:(:(:(:(:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Back