• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with spooked Rabbits

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
I was out with my two boys yesterday afternoon for their free range time when i noticed a sparrowhawk on my neighbours roof.

He wasn't paying any attention to us as next door feeds wild birds and he was watching them. I put the boys back in as i had to go do the school run. Just after i closed the door the sparrowhawk caught a baby seagull (white with brown spots) it was injuried already. The scream was horrendous. It seemed to go on for ages.

Now My boys won't come out. They just stand at the run door and look around. Brownie just periscopes all the time. They have a 10ft x 8ft run attached to a 6ft x 4ft which is on the front of their hutch so not shut in a hutch. I hate seeing them caged up all the time and love watching them run riot round the garden and doing loads of blinkys.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a way i can encourage them out. I've tried Fengeek crunchies, basil and carrot with no joy. My boys don't like handling so can't lift the out.

Don't force them :) they're scared that the hawk is going to come for them, forcing them will make them worry more. Their run sounds really big so I wouldn't worry about them not getting exercise, I'd be inclined to not let them out until spring/summer now as the hawk is probably hungry so more of a risk :( keep offering them the chance to go out and if they choose to make sure you never leave them alone

Thank you,

Spent three hours out today with the run door open and they still didn't come out. So sorted their tea, litter trays, water and closed the door.

Made them loads of hidey holes to so if they do come out they'll have loads of places to run and hide if needs be. Although my garden now looks quite untidy :lol:

Thank you,

Spent three hours out today with the run door open and they still didn't come out. So sorted their tea, litter trays, water and closed the door.

Made them loads of hidey holes to so if they do come out they'll have loads of places to run and hide if needs be. Although my garden now looks quite untidy :lol:

Could be to do with the weather being so cold?

My chooks didnt want to come out, some of the buns are just snuggling in their hutches even with doors open, I put it down to the horrible cold weather

Back