• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rspca??

I guess its cos they leave animals in conditions ie hutch sizes that people on here find unacceptable

which is true! as when my horrible neighbours called them as we apparently had dead chickens in the garden:evil::roll:

1 of my rabbits was in my old spare emergency 4ft hutch, as his normal one, the roof had rotted away and caved in, cossa the wind..

and the rspca guy didn't mention anything about the hutch being to small or the fact their was no run attached, he said everything was fine!

They don't seem to care as much about rabbits as cats and dogs and won't do anything if the animal has food and water, even if that food or water is inappropriate ie, green water or lack of hay.

Some members on here though are affiliated with the RSPCA and do a great job :thumb:

The RSPCA cannot, by law, do anything if no laws are being broken. If people don't like that fact then they should lobby to change the laws and not moan about the RSPCA.

I wouldnt say i dislike them but they went down in my estimation when they walked away from the horseford rabbits case. They just walked away - no help given - they just totally washed their hands of it.

http://www.pactsanctuary.org/donations/donation-to-feed-horsford-rabbits.html

I just didnt think that an animal welfare organisation could walk away like that. I've heard of other similar cases - but this was the one that stuck in my mind.

But then i do know that they do a lot of good as well.

My first experience many years ago, we got an elderly cat, she was much older than we were led to believe. She was at least 13 and not 7, I know its difficult to age cats but even still. We had major problems with her and I decided that sadly she would have to go back, I rang for advice and they said she had been rehomed once and returned for the same reason (no one had told us of any problems at the time) and if we took her back they would put her to sleep, Needless to say we kept her.

Years later we went to look for a rabbit after loosing one had having a lone rabbit. Their attitude stunk. Having rung and asked when would be a good time to go and have a chat and view the rabbits, we went when they asked us to, on arrival we were told by a very snooty receptionist that weekends were impossible to have someone come and help you choose, and you should come during the week when its quieter. She was terrible with other people that were there, some walked out. We persevered, filled in forms, she never fully looked up from her desk the whole time, we asked if it would be easier if we returned the following weekend at a time good for them, but could we say which rabbits we had seen online and ask some questions about them. No was the answer. We left. A few weeks later a friend had a similar experience when getting kittens.

Both me and my friend sent in a letter of complaint, neither of us even received an acknowlegement. All the above issues were at the same branch. I do have to say I have had dealings with another branch and although they had nothing suitable for us they were incredibly helpful.

Recently I contacted the cruelty line and while they were great on the phone and promised to look into the reason for my call and update me when they had been to the case I have heard nothing. I have no idea if the dogs in question have been removed from the situation or if they even went.

I now only use small private rescues.

They're certainly not my favorite charity, they put those awful guilt trip adverts on 'if YOU don't give us money these dogs will die', get so much money from those hugely publicised cases, yet every time I've had to report someone they've done absolutely nothing :( A bunch of kids kicked a wild hedgehog to death, there were loads of witnesses and the little brats had even announced it on facebook which I sent them, saying exactly what they did to it, and they wouldn't do anything, same when I reported a breeder who had rabbits living in indoor cages, outside in winter, and the rest crammed in 3x1ft cages with no bedding and mix thrown on the floor with their litter, giving away rabbits for free to children at 6 weeks old to make room for more litters :shock: Even if they couldn't do anything about the conditions, I'm pretty sure it's against the law to give away animals to children without parental consent, and at 6 weeks? really? :(

All in all, they do help animals, they rescue and rehome, I just wish they'd pay more attention to smaller animals

Some people also believe that they kill black/agouti animals if they already have a few in, because they're not anywhere near as likely to be rehomed, although I don't know if this is true for any branches

It always really worries me when they turn up in their big 'company' cars, have a substantial amount of money in the bank and assets elsewhere and then plead poverty when helped is asked for.

I was one of a large group of people who helped raise a lot of money for a RSPCA clinic. What was promised and what we got was two totally different things, to say we were duped is an understatement.

Die hard RSPCA supporters who had worked voluntarily with them for many many years left, people and animals more importantly were let down and the money we all worked so hard to raise was swallowed up by a large rich very businesslike 'charity'.

When I stood in the rain and snow rattling collection pots, when young and old donated money they could ill afford, when I paid bills out of my own pocket whilst struggling to feed myself, we all believed it would be 'for a good cause'. When RSPCA 'chiefs' turned up in big flash cars with blacked out windows, leather seats, etc driving passed houses that probably were valued less than their cars, I hung my head in shame. It certainly seemed that the animals were not their priority.

Back