• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing Zebedee - The Spring Road Station Bunny

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you may remember my recent thread about a stray black bunny that was spotted at Spring Road station, in Birmingham. (See here for more info if not: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...gham-Stray-bunny-U-D-No-sign-of-the-other-one)

Basically what happened was a friend of mine posted on Facebook on the Friday that he had seen a black domestic-looking bunny just sitting on the platform at this particular station - he works on the train line. I didn't see it until the Saturday, and was about 45 mins away, and by the time we got over there it was dark and cold. Despite looking with torches we saw nothing. The next day, my OH and I were in two minds as to whether we would find anything - there's quite a lot of industrial waste-land just nearby. Something in me felt I had to have another look, and back we went, armed with a carrier and treats.

We were just walking down the path and I spotted him at the top of the platform embankment (which the path runs parallel to) but on the other side a of a fence. He was just sitting there, as if he just wanted to say "hello". :shock: I couldn't believe it. My OH managed to jump the fence a bit further down and while I knelt down with my hand out to bunny as though I had a treat, my OH whipped his top off and caught him with it from behind. :love:

I went back to the car and got the carrier (we hadnt really expected to find him) and we got him safely inside. We had a look around the rest of that platform, just in case there had been another bunny but found nothing. We took him to our vets for a check-over and he was very handleable and clearly had been well looked after in his previous life. We will just never know how he ended up at the station. :(

So he has been in quarantine in our living room for the past 12 days. Alio71 kindly put posters up in the local area with our contact details on, and we rang the station/train line, local vets, RSPCA and the local police station but no-one has contacted us about him. In the meantime, we heard of a reported sighting that there may have been a white bunny, so Alio71, myself and OH, Julia123 and Poppymoon have all at various times gone back to the station to try to spot the white bunny, but with no luck. :(

In the meantime, we have named this little chap Zebedee. We have him in a small indoor cage, inside a puppy pen as its all we have. As he is nearing the end of his quarantine period we have started giving him runs around the living room. He binkied yesterday and is now finding his way into all the little nooks and crannies! His poos at first were AWFUL but are slowly turning in to a lovely golden colour. He likes his herbs, celery and pear and his hay. He's been doing happy flops in his litter tray and pen, and absolutely adores headrubs and noserubs. He is the gentlest little bunny ever, and I was wary at first because he is not neutered and had been through an ordeal but is an absolute sweetheart. We'll be taking him tomorrow for his vaccinations, and a pre-op assessment to sort out his furry tea bags! Bless him.

So without further ado, here he is.

The photo my friend posted on FB of him at the station

SpringRoadBlackBunny-1.jpg

And him at our house, after he'd settled in for a bit

Winter2012031.jpg

Winter2012033.jpg

Winter2012032.jpg

Winter2012035.jpg

Winter2012029.jpg

Winter2012034.jpg

Oh he is lovely well done for catching him.

The are lots of very tiny black wild bunnies near my yard someone has obviously released a bun at some point :(

:lol: Yes he is really healthy, he has the lovely silkiest fur coat. I really do think he must have been well looked after, and he was clearly well-handled from a young age too.

Webble, I was worried in case he could be a wildie but as soon as we saw him we knew he wasnt, because he looked in too good condition, and also he was soooo friendly and happy to be in human company, ok in small spaces etc. But I did want the vet to just confirm, because I would have felt awful if I'd caught a wildie! (Not that I imagine we would have been able to so easily).

PS He does actually boing about at the moment, he jumps on to the top of his cage from the smallest space, a little acrobat! :lol:

wow he is lovely looking and his coat is so shiney....so glad you managed to find him and catch him! So pleased he is with you now safe and sound and not out in the cold.

:lol::lol::lol:

When we had him checked at the vets, my OH said "will you be able to tell if its a boy or a girl?" and then the vet lifted him up and there were these two big furry things, and we were both like "oh!" :lol::lol::lol: (Never had non-neutered bunnies before, but still, we both did biology lessons at school! :lol:)

ETA: sorry Zebedee, how undignified us humans are being! :oops::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

When we had him checked at the vets, my OH said "will you be able to tell if its a boy or a girl?" and then the vet lifted him up and there were these two big furry things, and we were both like "oh!" :lol::lol::lol: (Never had non-neutered bunnies before, but still, we both did biology lessons at school! :lol:)

ETA: sorry Zebedee, how undignified us humans are being! :oops::lol:

I have had 4 male bunnies and never seen plums either. :lol::lol::lol:

awww so glad this had a happy ending :love: you and you OH sound like me and my hubby - we rescue anything and everything :oops::lol:

So will you be keeping him/bonding him into your group? ;)

awww so glad this had a happy ending :love: you and you OH sound like me and my hubby - we rescue anything and everything :oops::lol:

So will you be keeping him/bonding him into your group? ;)

Erm, this is the million dollar question at the moment! We are expecting a baby and space/money/time-wise we really were at our limit with 6....so the sensible part of us says no, we will rehome him, but at the same time, we have to get him neutered & vaccinated first and then look for a home for him to go to after Christmas, so we know realistically its not going to happen any time soon. So we'll see how we are coping and what we think is best.

(How vague is that?! :lol:)

Back