• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites advice needed please

Lucamoo

New Kit
Hello,

I adopted an unwanted rabbit last weekend and took him to the vet straight away as his nails were dreadful and he has quite bad dandruff on his back which I presumed was mites - unfortunately I was right and he has the walking dandruff type of mite. The vet recommended xeno 450 and this has now arrived and I will be giving bun his first treatment today. Please can anyone advise when I will be able to bring him inside for the winter? He will be segregated from my dogs until his treatment is complete and the vet has confirmed that he is clear or mites (to prevent cross infection and because xeno is toxic to dogs). I'm just concerned about the possibility of the mites living in the carpets and causing a vicious cycle of reinfestation - I can wash the cage with boiling water to kill anything that's lurking but have been told that indorex spray isn't really safe for rabbit areas and so I really don't want anything living in the carpet. Once he has settled indoors he'll be allowed supervised time out of his house in the spare room.

Sorry for so many questions, any advice very gratefully received!
Sue

Thank you for the advice and for the link, will definitely choose that product if the problem persists (fingers crossed it doesn't!). Am going to bring him in tomorrow and will hoover his room every day. Thanks again,
Sue

Back