• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water Bottles Freezing :/

Natty123

Warren Scout
Hi everyone!
It's absolutely FREEZING outside now and the bottles are literally solid when I go out in the morning to feed the bunnies as we all predicted..does anyone have any suggestions of some good bottle covers or things like that? I'm putting the playhouse up this weekend too, so hopefully it will be warmer in there and with bottle covers, the water should be okay :D

Thank you for the replies everyone. I think I might just try the old sock idea. Very simple, but a good plan! :lol:

I had radiator fleece and a sock on the bottle last night and despite putting it in the cosiest part of their house, the spout froze!!! . water inside was ok but the spout was frozen solid.

However, i tried suggestions of a bowl with snugglesafe underneath and a ping pong ball inside and it was absolutely fine... I reckon this is how I'll manage from now on

Do your rabbits get veg at all? as you will find as it gets colder your rabbits wont drink very much coz it will be too cold. veg gives them loads off water and its not freezing cold. i was told this by our vet when i was worried out our water botle last year and the rabbits not drinking :D

Mine freeze all winter, but I've never really put much covering on them. The problem is the first thing that freezes is the metal bit, which means that even if the content of the bottle is liquid no water can come out.
So I just used a bowl during the winter and replaced the water often (can't be nice to be licking on a cold metal surface can it?:p)

Even in shed or playhouse if you don't heat it the bottles will freeze- mine does in a log cabin! I use a pair of socks over it and it seems to work unless it's really, really cold. I just change it regularly but to be honest the bunny doesn't seem that bothered as he never goes for the water after I've put fresh liquid stuff out!

i have a water bowl in our outside hutch and despite water collecting on top of the tarpaulin freezing sold the water inside the hutch isnt freezing at all. Ive also got a water bottle with a cover on it just in case but since i replace water at least daily i dont think its an issue.

The problem is the first thing that freezes is the metal bit, which means that even if the content of the bottle is liquid no water can come out. So I just used a bowl during the winter and replaced the water often (can't be nice to be licking on a cold metal surface can it?:p)

Does anyone know if it's possible to get bottles with plastic, rather than metal, spouts? it'd be nicer for the rabbits to use during the winter, but I don't know if any are made like that.

I've always used bowls for my buns and I would have 2/3 bowls so I could change the water a couple of times a day

i no longer use the bottles as I find my babies drink much more from a ceramic bowl and as the water is around 1 1/2" deep, it never completely freezes, in fact they much prefer a bowl

oh?.. Sorry... I was just wondering if it would work to stop it freezing.. My concern was that the buns would chew the foil on the spout if they were drinking.

No they can't get at the foil as its just around the bottle half which is attached to the outside of their run, and it does appear to be working as a good insulator, more so that a 'proper' insulator I bought last year specifically for water bottle...... I live in the north east so it's a good test ;)

Back