• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lazy rabbits?

NJK

Warren Scout
Hi, this is the first time I've posted on here so I hope it's the right section! I have two five year old outside rabbits, a Netherland Dwarf and a Rex who have always lived outside. A couple of months ago I moved them from the shed to a hutch as the shed started leaking and was becoming really draughty. I let them out for a play regularly and they run around for about two mins before sitting in the corner of the run looking a bit miserable! I have also noticed that they spend the majority of their time in their hutch bedroom. They are eating and drinking well and look well. Are just getting a bit older or do I just have lazy rabbits??

What size is the hutch? :) it might be they want more 'outside' time rather than being in their hutch :) when I had my first rabbit she was in a small hutch :oops: and I got her out everyday, nearly all day for run time or free range garden time which she loved. As soon as she was back in the hutch she hardly moved because there was no room to move.

Could be the weather if they are in a big hutch though:) preserving their energy to keep them warm :) if they have a run attached I'm sure they'd move around a lot more :) my pair were in a 6ft hutch temporarily while their shed was being lino'd and they became very lazy, when I attached their run they were happier:) now they have more space again they're always on the move:thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks for replying! Their hutch is around 8 ft long and 3 ft wide, so have plenty of room to play in. They just don't seem to be very energetic! Thinking back to summer, they were very much the same in summer. They were out today for four hours and spent most of the time sitting in the corner and almost seemed please to go back to their hutch. I'm not too worried as they do look healthy. I suppose they just like snuggling up and having a chat! I don't regret moving them though, especially during winter as it's getting sooo cold ...

It may well be you are disturbing them during their nap time and they are active - just not whilst you are looking ;) Rabbit's are often sleepest mid afternoon and most active early morning/late evening.

They also need something to do, so things like hiding food and giving them new things to explore will help.

Tamsin

Thanks for replying! Their hutch is around 8 ft long and 3 ft wide, so have plenty of room to play in. They just don't seem to be very energetic! Thinking back to summer, they were very much the same in summer. They were out today for four hours and spent most of the time sitting in the corner and almost seemed please to go back to their hutch. I'm not too worried as they do look healthy. I suppose they just like snuggling up and having a chat! I don't regret moving them though, especially during winter as it's getting sooo cold ...

Wow! :thumb:

They're probably just sleepy, rabbits prefer dawn and dusk as their active times :) mine are lazier in summer as they don't deal with heat too well!

I would say the weather might be contributing to their behaviour at the moment, mine are the same! They have a 6x4 shed but I close them in at night. I open the door to their 7x3 run at 7/8am and they rarely come out:roll::lol:

Hi :)

My two don't run around much during the day. They don't even come out of their cage much before lunch time, maybe just pop out for a wander for a couple of minutes then find somewhere to have a nap, then back in the cage. I think they are just sleepy during the day.

In the evening mine come alive and start running around all over when I'm really tired and would rather they went back to their cage :lol:

I always found this with my older buns when it came to free run time they would come out eat some grass binky then in they would go back into their hutches :lol: it was always so hard to get them to come out the younger ones though would stay out all day

Well..... I don't really know why because my bun is eight and will run around for about thirty minuets before taking a five minuet break. But then he starts playing again. So I don't really know:?

Mine have two joined together double-storey hutches & 24hr access to an outside run on the grass but they still spend most of their time snuggled together in one room of one hutch...how ungrateful can they be!! :D

Most action is seen first thing in the morning when i open my curtains around 7.30am & they are both outside in the run & then as its getting dark they pop out again...the rest of the time they lurk in the dark!! I reckon they are hamsters in disguise :lol:

Back