• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blue ribbon horse bedding (pine pellets safe?)?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Does anyone know if this is safe to use as litter for bunnies and piggies?

http://www.brhb.org/

I just picked up 5 bags of megazorb from my local supplier and the price has gone up to £10 per bag...i use a bag per week so could so with getting that down a little... We have had a new equine suppliers open in town and they own blue ribbon horse bedding and so supply it at £4.50 for 20kg.

I have checked that it does NOT contain citronella...its 100% wood pellet so I dont see any problem with it but I dont know eough about wood types and havnt seen it mentioned before...not sure if thats becuase its no good or becuase its a locally made product...

Compressed wood pellets are an excellent alternative to other types of horse bedding. Our wood pellets are similar in appearance to the pellets used in wood stoves, but they have been carefully selected for equine use. That means no potentially toxic chemicals are used, and no hardwood is included. We only use fresh pine for their shavings. As the shavings get wet, they puff up into sawdust, and this helps the bedding last longer. Compressed wood pellets are also easier to clean, because they do not get as wet and sticky as traditional wood shavings. You will ultimately find that you will use less bedding as a result of using Blue Ribbon. This 100% natural virgin wood is FSC certified from UK sources

Last edited:
Found this too on their website~

The wood is subjected to intense heat which dries out the chip to between 8-10% moisture. This is then put under extreme pressure to form a pellet. There are no additives only natural lignum which bonds the pellet together.

Personally, i'd say no.

We only use fresh pine for their shavings. As the shavings get wet, they puff up into sawdust

I *think* its pine that is toxic to rabbits? Also, 'sawdust' could potentially cause respiratory issues.

Thanks graham...this is where im confused as I have read online that if the pine is heat treated into pellets then its safe as the heat treatment kills any dangerous toxins :?

I don't think a toxin can be killed as it is a chemical not a living organism.

I am not sure if it would be safe tbh, I would be more worried about how fine the sawdust it puffs out into would be. I am not sure I'd risk it, not unless you can see what the stuff is like before you buy it. I'd imagine that as it is horse bedding it doesn't come in small tester packs. It would really annoy me if I were to buy a bale of the stuff only to find it unsuitable!

Does anyone know if this is safe to use as litter for bunnies and piggies?

http://www.brhb.org/

I just picked up 5 bags of megazorb from my local supplier and the price has gone up to £10 per bag...i use a bag per week so could so with getting that down a little... We have had a new equine suppliers open in town and they own blue ribbon horse bedding and so supply it at £4.50 for 20kg.

I have checked that it does NOT contain citronella...its 100% wood pellet so I dont see any problem with it but I dont know eough about wood types and havnt seen it mentioned before...not sure if thats becuase its no good or becuase its a locally made product...
I would think so.........:)

Blue Ribbon Bedding

Morning they are 100% safe as the kiln dried process kills any toxins. I know someone who works at the factory and he said the pellet are triple filtered to remove the dust before bagging. Larger animals such as horses can break it down to a fine dust over long period of time due to there size. But the pellets are made from small mini wood chips rather than from saw dust so dust is very minimal full stop. Looking on there website, he said that Olympic Gold Medallists Horse riders use the bedding and they are very happy it doesn't effect the horses breathing at all. Shavings aren't very good at all, as they are un treated virgin wood with limited absorbtion. The pellet is the complete opposite. Might see if I can get a factory tour! Sounds interesting!

Back