• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brrrrrr

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
And so it starts... Unfreezing water bottles and bowls! -3 this morning brrrr. Dash's water bottle practically froze before my eyes this morning! Summer and Skye's was frozen as uncovered so I checked Dash's but it was fine as under cover. Took cover off to give him his brekkie, looked at water bottle again and it was frozen!!! Couldn't believe it!! Time to do something with the gazzilion rolls of bubble wrap I saved from a delivery me thinks!!!

I don't want to go out there, this is when I wish for indoor buns, cleaning them out while turning into an icicle :( I have bottle covers so luckily I don't need to worry about the frozen water, just the frozen self! Lol

we've been really lucky here because it gets down to below freezing overnight and when i go out between 8 and 9 am to feed them, it's warm enough, generally about 1 or 2 degrees, for the bowls and bottles to have thawed out :D

I've not left my bed yet as I'm poorly sick. Going to brave the cold shortly though, feed the animals and then go Sainsburys for ribena, biscuits and some form of lunch. Then I'm coming home, bringing the kettle upstairs, getting back in bed and not moving. :thumb:

It was freezing here this morning! Last night I filled a huge underbed storage box with straw so that Peter could burrow into it... this morning I discovered most of the straw on the floor of the hutch and the rest compacted down where I think he had been sat on it. Honestly sometimes I wonder why I bother, but then at least I feel I've done the best I can to keep him warm. That bun will never learn!!:roll:

It was freezing here this morning! Last night I filled a huge underbed storage box with straw so that Peter could burrow into it... this morning I discovered most of the straw on the floor of the hutch and the rest compacted down where I think he had been sat on it. Honestly sometimes I wonder why I bother, but then at least I feel I've done the best I can to keep him warm. That bun will never learn!!:roll:

Same as mine! I don't worry tho as long as iv provided, it's upto them what they do with it. Heidi is the worst, she drags all the hay and straw from everywhere, including the litter tray (complete with wood pellets!) and piles it up in main area of hutch (and usually in water bowl :evil:) but i do find little 'nests' she has made so she's not completely daft :lol:

It certainly is getting really cold now and I have to wear the garden gloves to clean out the buns now.

The shed windows are frosting up as well :shock: I still haven't brought out the snugglesafe for the buns in the shed yet but Leo is alone in his hutch so his is already being used! Brrrrrrrrrrr!!!

It certainly is getting really cold now and I have to wear the garden gloves to clean out the buns now.

The shed windows are frosting up as well:shock: I still haven't brought out the snugglesafe for the buns in the shed yet but Leo is alone in his hutch so his is already being used! Brrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Do you have an old blanket or something? We have a blanket as a make shift curtain which covers the windows :) it still fogs up but it keeps it slightly warmer in the shed :) we just put 3 nails above the windows and cut holes for it to hang up and it's easy to roll up in the day.

If they were in their hutch I would be out there again changing bottles and bowls! It's still bleedin' freezing out there but I've had the rabbits with less protection in colder weather!

Off to clean them out now, with gloves on :lol:

Do you have an old blanket or something? We have a blanket as a make shift curtain which covers the windows :) it still fogs up but it keeps it slightly warmer in the shed :) we just put 3 nails above the windows and cut holes for it to hang up and it's easy to roll up in the day.

I might try that, or its possible I might mesh one of the windows and take the plastic out because also inside the roof is getting a lot of condensation and then freezing too so I think it needs some ventilation!!

Back