• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood in Urine?

Misty's Mummy

Warren Scout
From my earlier posts, Misty was spayed today (well yesterday). Shes been very sleepy all day which i expected and she has eaten some herbs but very little which i guess is kind of good.

Ive noticed in her pee corner some red, and im not sure if its blood or her normal pee (which is orange/red anyway). Shes on puppy training pads and fleece in half her cage but shes been on the pads all night and i dont know if its more noticable because shes usually on megazorb and hay and we dont tend to see her pee.

She also hasn't poo'd since she's came home or drank anything. She also keep licking her wound ( well i think shes licking it), is this going to damage the stiches? Shes not really let anyone near her today so its hard to tell and i dont want to pick her up

Last question - what is the easiest way to give her medicine. Shes to get baytril twice a day and pain relief once a day.

Im sorry for asking so many questions about spaying but as ive said, ive never dealt with this before and i dont know whats normal and whats not.

Red urine is normal in most instances, certain foods have different pigments and will turn it different colours. If you're concerned it may be blood then let your vet know. The lack of poo would concern me a bit more and I would be contacting the vets about that too. I'm not saying it's unheard of because I've only dealt with two spays and they were a long time ago but it would be something I would be keeping a good eye on. Also not sure on the licking.

As for baytril, does she eat banana? I usually mix it into some mashed banana or 'syringe' it into a small peice of bread. Mine all love the taste of metacam so I've never had any worries there but you could do similar. Possibly once she tastes it she'll just lick it from the syringe.

I would give the Vet a call this morning to obtain some advice

A small amount of blood in the urine immediately after a spay can occur because during the spay the cervix is first clamped and then tied off using soluble sutures. This can result in some bleeding which can be seen in the urine passed. There should not be a lot of blood and the problem should resolve quickly

It is important that she eats/drinks and passess feces, getting her GI tract working again is essential

You do need to check her wound, so handling her is essential I am afraid

Here is a video showing how to medicate/syringe feed a Rabbit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg

Had her back at the vets. Her temperature and things are fine. Wounds a bit inflammed but was given baytril for that anyway.

Ive to feed her baby food by syringe til she starts eating herself again. He said her poo's will be a bit funny for a few days due to the anestethic. I said about the blood and he said about veg can make it that colour but there will some spotting probably anyway. He gave her pain relief and baytril so i didnt need too today. He says to take her in if things dont improve.

Back