• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing!!!

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi,

Jasper has a recent history of an ear infection due to Staphylococcus Aureus and after long term anti-biotics he seemed to get past it. He slowly returned to his old self until this last month or so where he has been running around being a nuisance like when he was young. Unfortunately he has started sneezing a lot lately. There is no mucusy discharge but his nose feels wet to the touch. Despite this he seems really well.

He is due his myxi jabs tomorrow so ill obviously speak to the vet about it but the vet we normally see is on holiday till the end of next week. She gave him a full health check 2 weeks ago when he got his VHD jabs and was happy with him. The vet we are seeing isn't particularly rabbit savvy so not sure what to do.

I'm convinced its a flair up of the Staphylococcus Aureus as it is understood that he may always be prone to flair ups. I could put him back on the Baytril (I have some) but I'm reluctant to do something like that without the right advice. It would probably help get things under control but the more he is on anti-biotics the more the bacteria will find resistant so is it best to just see how he gets on while he is otherwise ok?

His normal rabbit savvy vet will be back a week on monday so i could wait until then.

Any advice welcome, hopefully someone may have had similar long term experiences with this kind of thing.

I think the sneezing may well be related to the previous bacterial infection. Did the sneezing come on AFTER he was vaccinated ? If so that would add weight to the theory as the vaccine would be an additional challenge to an already challenged immune system

I would certainly not want him to have another vaccine until a definitive diagnosis has been established

Re the Baytril, you do need to discuss it with a Vet. Also, what you have left from his previous treatment may now be past it's 'best before' date.

I would get him back to the Vet ASAP to try to nip any potential problem in the bud

Good luck

Thanks Jane (once again).

Yes actually it did. Both my rabbits got a full checkup when they had their VHD jabs 2 weeks ago today (including respiratory) and they were fine. The baytril was new before FCB recommended i stopped his treatment so it should last a good while as it has never been opened. Point noted about vets advice first tho.

Well his appointment is tonight but typically his usual vet isn't around. As it was originally for his myxi jab i didnt care who the vet was but unfortunately she isn't rabbit savvy. This same vet was the one that gave me simple ear drops for what became a really serious ear infection. Had the correct diagnosis been made sooner then he may not have his distorted mouth/face.

So that I understand, you think although he has bounced back from the previous infection to the point where his immune system was coping but adding the VHD jab may have just been too much and his immune system is struggling to handle both so adding yet another jab could potentially make him worse?

I think i might go to the appointment tonight and give the vet the theory and see what she says. If he doesn't get the myxi jab tonight we can monitor him or treat him as advised then take him back in a week or so when our usual rabbit savvy vet is back. Is that a sensible approach?

I like both rabbits to be "in sync" jab wise so holding off both their jabs for a week or so isn't a great concern with them being house rabbits.

Back