• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wet Bottom

Janey

Warren Veteran
Not really sure what section to put this in health/behaviour?? So posted here.

Poppy keeps having a wet bottom. I am pretty sure it's because she now shares a room with but is not bonded with Pixie and so feels the need to mark her territory by the divider seperating them. As a result rather than being absorbed into the hay/newspaper of her litter tray she gets wet. This has happened a couple of times in the last 10 days and as a result she is a bit smelly. I was panicking about incontinence but I don't think it is this because she's not messing all over the room (just by the barrier) and it's not all the time, perhaps once a day (she goes through phases, sometimes a few times a day sometimes never).

What is best to do to clean her? She has such thick fur around her bottom, she has always had a 'skirt' so it takes forever to dry. Am I best to give her a bottom bath? I thought about clipping the fur a bit but is the fur protecting her skin from the wet? It's not a permenant wetness (at the moment anyway), but it does worry me.

I tried giving her a comb last night but her fur is SO thick it will take several sittings because although she is very good she understandably gets upset and with it just being me it's tricky to hold her too. Any suggestion?

Such a shame, she hates me because I always give her medicine, we have just made friends again and she doesn't run from me in fear of being caught and now I'm having to catch and poke her again :(

You mention 'medication'

What is she on medication for and what is the medication ?

Is Poppy the Doe who was nesting ??

No she's not (you've got a good memory). That's the doe she isn't bonded to.

At the moment she's not actually on medication but when she does have it it's metacam & baytril although, touch wood, she hasn't needed them for a few weeks and has actually been very bright (I've even had binkies). The medication is to manage dental issue that she's had for many years.

Back