• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any suggestions for antibiotics for a snuffle bun?

*runs to poppetts drug cabinet*

Poppys on Ronaxan(1/2 a tab a day),Metacam(2x a day),Bisolvon(2x a day) and Ciloxan eyedrops(3x a day).

so far its the only combination to keep her sneezing and eyes from getting manky.
:(

As you no doubt know, it depends very much on the bacteria involved. Tetracyclines can work well, they are my vet's first choice for snuffles - Engemycin LA/Terramycin LA (both diff brands of the same thing) are both one injection every 3 days. Ronaxan has good affinity for lung tissue so can be helpful if the infection is lower in the respiratory tract; metronidazole also helped Santa a lot as she obviously had anaerobes deep in the tooth root area. It can be used in combination with others to give a broader spectrum of coverage and it kills clostridium so reduces worry over abx associated diarrhoea.

Good luck x

It's Mulberry's post-myxy snuffles, so not tooth related. :wave:

I wasn't sure whether testing would be possible as she's been on antibiotics for weeks and I thought that that rendered the testing void. Not sure how much of a gap there needs to be for a swab test to be meaningful.....

Since taking her off all antibiotics on Sunday morning she's been livelier and has started going outside to eat for the first time in weeks, so am really not sure what to do for the best as she's started sounding slightly more snuffly again. She has a vets appt tomorrow evening so wanted to go with some suggestions at the ready.....

Might be worth discussing the use of a tetracycline then, they're broad spectrum across aerobic bacteria and only 1 injection every 3 days so minimises the stress of medicating? Hope Mulberry is ok x

Is there actually active infection still - nasty discharge etc ?

If it is just her sounding snuffly and her lungs remain clear it may be inflammation as opposed to infection that is the cause. She probably has some scar tissue as a result of the Myxo nodules

If there is still active infection which is confined to her nasal passages then you could ask the Vet about trying Tiacil Eye drops. Sounds weird, but as long as the nasolacrimal ducts are draining the eye drops will drain into the nasal passages. Tiacil contains both an antibiotic (Gentamicin) and an anti-inflammatory (trometamol) which will act directly on the area of infection as opposed to doing so systemically via the blood stream.

This would give her a break from systemic abx

Is there actually active infection still - nasty discharge etc ?

If it is just her sounding snuffly and her lungs remain clear it may be inflammation as opposed to infection that is the cause. She probably has some scar tissue as a result of the Myxo nodules

If there is still active infection which is confined to her nasal passages then you could ask the Vet about trying Tiacil Eye drops. Sounds weird, but as long as the nasolacrimal ducts are draining the eye drops will drain into the nasal passages. Tiacil contains both an antibiotic (Gentamicin) and an anti-inflammatory (trometamol) which will act directly on the area of infection as opposed to doing so systemically via the blood stream.

This would give her a break from systemic abx

This is what we did for Viola Rose - who continued snuffly for months after myxi - it was scar tissue mainly. We also used F10 in a nebuliser for a while to ensure no bacteria left in nasal passages (and we are using that for Thistle at present who does have abx also as is an infection snuffle bun).

There is the sound of snuffly breathing but no actual discharge. She's had fucithalmic acid for her eyes but have stopped this now the nodules around her eyes have more or less gone. Could definitely switch to tiacil if the vet thinks it's needed (once she's heard her breathing).

It just seems so amazing that after weeks of her being hunched in the shed, a couple of days after I stop all the antibiotics she's suddenly choosing to venture outside again. I wondered if it might be that she's hungry - I've also stopped giving her quite as many meals, but she has had non-stop hay access all through so I would think that if she's hungry but doesn't feel better she'd just eat the hay that's in the shed next to where she's sitting. She's been out all morning grazing despite pellets and broccoli for breakfast and lunch. I didn't think it was possible! :shock: Am nervous about weighing her but will do that tonight and hopefully she won't have lost weight. Would it be possible that the antibiotics have stopped her gaining it?

Back