• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice please!

J&R

Mama Doe
Just been out to feed buns breakfast, I had some peppers left over from last nights dinner and thought i'd see if buns liked it.
They were both eating pellets and greens when suddenly Rosie stopped eating and wandered off (unheard of for her) then she started running round the run like she was upset and when she came back towards me had thick saliva coming out of her mouth. I thought she was choking but she wouldn't let me near her. She then calmed down a bit and was swallowing lots and looked like she was trying to chew.
She's now sat in the corner of the run, and has let me stroke her but won't let me near her mouth. She's not panicked any more and the saliva has gone but I'm panicking now - the vets opens at 9 and I wouldn't get to the emergency vets before then anyway.

What do I do? can anyone help? Could she have choked a bit but it went down? was it the pepper?

Just been out to feed buns breakfast, I had some peppers left over from last nights dinner and thought i'd see if buns liked it.
They were both eating pellets and greens when suddenly Rosie stopped eating and wandered off (unheard of for her) then she started running round the run like she was upset and when she came back towards me had thick saliva coming out of her mouth. I thought she was choking but she wouldn't let me near her. She then calmed down a bit and was swallowing lots and looked like she was trying to chew.
She's now sat in the corner of the run, and has let me stroke her but won't let me near her mouth. She's not panicked any more and the saliva has gone but I'm panicking now - the vets opens at 9 and I wouldn't get to the emergency vets before then anyway.

What do I do? can anyone help? Could she have choked a bit but it went down? was it the pepper?

Yes, that sounds like a choke :cry:

Is she calm now, not 'gulping', retching etc or mouth breathing ? Are her lips/ear tips-edges a 'normal' colour, not greyish-blue ?

She absolutely must be seen by a Vet this morning as there is a risk that she aspirated some food and this can lead to the development of aspiration pneumonia.

The Vet needs to carry out a comprehensive examination

Good luck

Thank you, have got her the earliest possible appt at 9.20 at the normal surgery as emergency vets couldn't get her in any earlier. Her breathing seems normal but she's very subdued, I've tried tempting her with bits of herbs but she's not interested - perhaps that's for the best that she doesn't eat anything yet.

It was horrible and I'm still scared for her now

Thank you, have got her the earliest possible appt at 9.20 at the normal surgery as emergency vets couldn't get her in any earlier. Her breathing seems normal but she's very subdued, I've tried tempting her with bits of herbs but she's not interested - perhaps that's for the best that she doesn't eat anything yet.

It was horrible and I'm still scared for her now

I hope that all will be OK for her

I know how awful it is to witness a choking Rabbit :cry:

We went to the vet and I told her what you'd said which she agreed with, checked her throat, breathing, heart rate which seemed ok but she was still very subdued so she gave her some gut stimulant and painkiller and then I took her over to the hospital to be admitted.
They're going to observe her for a few hours and then look at doing an x-ray and endoscopy if she's not perked up by this afternoon, they don't think they'll be able to tell if she's aspirated anything for a day or two but I do feel easier knowing they are keeping a close eye on her.

Thank you so much for your advice, it was really helpful going in there knowing what I needed to ask about if the vet didn't pick it up. It's much appreciated.
Now I have to go to work and try not to ring every hour to check up on her

Good grief! So glad you got her to the vets and she seems ok now. Hope she continues to do well x

Sounds as though she is in the care of an excellent Vet.

Hopefully Rosie will feel better once the anti-inflammatory kicks in

Lots of vibes being sent xx

Hope she continues to do well - what an awful worry - but at least you got her to the vet this morning.

Thank you for the well wishes. We've just come home from the hospital - they were quite relieved to see her go I think as apparently she trashed the place, so I guess she's feeling better :lol:

Vet at hospital was not as bunny savvy as mine and didn't give any decent aftercare advice but I think I know what to look out for in the coming days - any coughing, wheezing or rattling in her breathing as well as obviously keeping an eye on eating & pooing. She's eaten at the hospital as I took her some herbs in and had some greens since she got home although wasn't too keen on eating pellets but is probably still a little wary of them.

I am so grateful and relieved to have her home safely, that could have been a lot, lot worse.

Thank you for the well wishes. We've just come home from the hospital - they were quite relieved to see her go I think as apparently she trashed the place, so I guess she's feeling better :lol:

Vet at hospital was not as bunny savvy as mine and didn't give any decent aftercare advice but I think I know what to look out for in the coming days - any coughing, wheezing or rattling in her breathing as well as obviously keeping an eye on eating & pooing. She's eaten at the hospital as I took her some herbs in and had some greens since she got home although wasn't too keen on eating pellets but is probably still a little wary of them.

I am so grateful and relieved to have her home safely, that could have been a lot, lot worse.

What pellets do you feed her ?

Hope she will soon be 100% back to normal ?

They have a mixture of burgess excel and science selective but I break the ss up in to pieces the same size as the burgess because I always worried about her choking on ss if she tried to eat it whole!

I hadn't but that's very interesting. I've no idea if it was a burgess or ss pellet she choked on as I mix the two together but will give some thought to what I'm feeding them. She's not a snuffle or dental bun but something she has in common with many of the buns on that thread is being a greedy guzzler.

I hadn't but that's very interesting. I've no idea if it was a burgess or ss pellet she choked on as I mix the two together but will give some thought to what I'm feeding them. She's not a snuffle or dental bun but something she has in common with many of the buns on that thread is being a greedy guzzler.

Yes, that seems to be a predisposing factor

Back