• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panicking about possibility of snuffles(?) U/D advise needed

Azucena

Alpha Buck
Hi

I'm booking Humphrey a vet appointment tomorrow morning due to occassionally yellowing staining around his nose. I'm getting myself very worried and upset about the possibly of it being snuffles or similar. I noticed clear 'gunk' next to his eye but put that down to him trapping himself behind the huston where it's dusty and with hay. Also a couple of strands of the hair around his eyes looked like they were moulting but I've read that's a symptom?

No point to this thread really, other than reassurance I guess! I'm so worried for him. :cry:

U/D: he was taken to the vets by my mam as I couldn't do it (school). She couldn't find anything wrong apparently but gave him antibiotics just to be sure. It's to be added to his water.. Would you say that was ok to do? I guess it was a different vet to normal so not sure on rabbit savvyness so wanted to be sure.

Last edited:
To me most of that sounds very normal. The hair and the eye is something that some bunnies seem prone to- I have to fish hair out of Sky's eye every day and he has no such problems. The 'muck' around the nose could be discharge but equally it could be hot breath meeting cold air on the bunnies nose and then the bunny rummaging around in hay and getting hay dust stuck there- something that happens to my outsiders often. You don't mention sneezing, and also discharge with sneezing or matted paws which are good indicators.

However, it's always worth getting a vet check if you are worried.

All that said, even if it is a URTI then that's not the end of the world. You've caught it early and there are plenty of treatments available; some bunnies might have a chronically but equally, others may only have one bout or may flare up when the immune system is under stress.

Try not to panic :)

Thanks so much for your fast and very helpful response! :)
I'll try not to worry so much.

I'm prone to getting very panicky about things, and I think I'll still take him to put my mind at ease and just to make sure.

As in the U/D on top thread.

I've read that giving antibiotics in water isn't a good idea?

I can't think of any antibiotics that i've ever given that would go in water - do you have the name of the antibiotic you have been given? Most are oral for regular abx.

Sorry i missed the update.

It's baydril.

I just wonder if he'd get the full dose not drinking all his water, which of course isn't good with antibiotics.

It's baydril.

I just wonder if he'd get the full dose not drinking all his water, which of course isn't good with antibiotics.

That's really odd, never heard of oral baytril being given in water as that'd dilute it and as you say, bunny will likely not get it all :?

Normally, baytril is an amount of ml per day. Such as 0.6ml/day for example.

Can you double check with your vet?

Apparently she was asked if he'd take it on food. She said he wouldn't (I don't think he'd of noticed the addition and eaten it anyway), so was given this. I had told my mam to text if there were any questions she were asked and I'd be able to reply instantly. But she didn't. :|

I dont know any bunnies that 'like' baytril.

Its often best to get the syringe in just behind their front teeth and slowly push it in so they kinda chew the syringe and the baytril.

DO you have the syringes? It's sometimes easier with 2 people, one to hold bunny and one to syringe.

That was also an option, that she turned down. Who knows why.

I got a syringe for measuring the dose of the baytril he got today. Could I use the same dose that I got for adding to his water and syringe it?

One vet told me it was ok to dilute Baytril in water, but when I changed vets to a more rabbit savvy one as bun wasn't getting any better they said no it could not be diluted in the drinking water. Hope that helps.

I would ring your vet again and explain that you are comfortable syringe feeding straight into his mouth. If you haven't got a syringe they will give you one. Check the dose etc you need they will even show you at the vets how much you need in the syringe. If you hold your bunny on the floor and sit down with him in between your knees facing forwards then pop the syringe into the side of his mouth enough in so he wont spit it out. He wont like the taste but give him a small piece of apple or something after. I wouldnt put it in the water I can't see how he could get the full amount plus it might stop him drinking his water :?

Thanks everyone. :)

Got some new syringes from the vets and checked about the dose.
Now to try and syringe it into him.. Should be fun. :lol: but thanks for your stringing tips!

Back