• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Acrylic / Perspex "shutters" for hutch and runs :-)

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

Im wanting to get some cut out perspex/acrylic pieces for the hutch & run - give some protection agains the wind and they can still see out etc.

What Im wanting to know is - what is the best thickness to use?

Wickes/screwfix do a big sheet of 2mm - but sounds very flimsy and thin..

or was thinking of pricing up with these guys -

http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/shopping_cart.php

Id like the pieces to be firm enough to slot into place and not bend when the bunnies push their noses against the wire mesh of the hutch...else then the perspex piece might pop out. I want it to last for a few years too.

Last winter they didnt have much insulation - just the hutch cover..which is now broken and the fabric torn with age...and just their snuggle safes & a bedroom area stuffed with hay - they were fine...I do worry but they dont seem to mind...;):shock::p

So this year Id like to put in the perspex windows, get rid of the hutch covers which are broken...and wel..not much else I can do for insulation so thats it really.....they do have access to indoors into a little hide out...so if they do get really cold they will come in..I hope!:?:lol::roll:

2m will be too flimsy. We have a frame built for the front of our dog run which we can put on and lift off as and when we need to. We bought ours from a local upvc place who cut it to size for us.

I think you'll find the Plastics People are very reasonably priced. And they'll cut and drill it all to size for you with screw holes exactly where you want them.

Hi I buy all mine from the plastic people I bought 3mm and its great I fasten mine on with those like butterfly fasteners then I can either slide it across the runner or take it off :wave:

This has got it permanently fixed on the top half and the bottom piece slides along a runner and then clips in place with those black fasteners :)

b77c5ace.jpg

Hi I buy all mine from the plastic people I bought 3mm and its great I fasten mine on with those like butterfly fasteners then I can either slide it across the runner or take it off :wave:

This has got it permanently fixed on the top half and the bottom piece slides along a runner and then clips in place with those black fasteners :)

b77c5ace.jpg

oh brilliant! thanks for that! I want it really sturdy and not all bendy ...so looks like 3mm is fine! cheers! great to also know the plastic people are good to use! ;)

b77c5ace.jpg

Nice bunny home! May I ask where you got the add on run from? Lucky bunnies ;)

Back