• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fluffy Rabbits!

Hi,

Searching for a rabbit, looking for one thats fluffy, but as young as possible I can get hold of.

Iv'e been to Pets@Home, they only seem to have rabbits that have short fur. I was told by one of the advisors that the rabbits will be more fluffy when they grow older and be like what I am looking for.

I'm just wondering wether to believe this or not, as on some of the pictures I have seen on here, the rabbits look the same age/size, but look a lot more fluffy than the ones in Pets@Home. I don't want to take there word for it.

A little confused, any help advising me how to find a fluffy bunny ?

Have you looked at Rabbit Rehome? http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

There are lots and lots of rabbits needing homes. If you get a rescue they will likely already be neutered, vaccinated and probably paired up all ready for you.

Also remember with a fluffy bunny you are likely to get more fur transferred around plus have to groom them regularly which they don't always like. I love my fluffy bunny but he does manage to transfer a lot of hay around the place!

Also more prone to fly strike I believe as their poops get stuck to their fur.

Agree with trying rescue centres.

Thanks we never thought of rescue centres so will have a look into them.

Also, we really like the look of the fluffy ones as we want a cuddly one :) and young because it would be nice to tame it from an early age.

You wouldn't happen to be on hamster central forum would you? If so I would wait and see if your trio of hams falls out first before having bunnies, ham cages for 3 will be pricey! :) on top of buying everything for rabbits :)

Rabbits may look fluffy and cute but they can be expensive and if bought from a shop they aren't vaccinated/neutered so when they reach the hormonal age they can cause havoc. Spraying etc. They are also very social animals so rescues will pair them off and rehome them like that. I have heard many people going to buy a rabbit because they only wanted one and they didn't want such a big enclosure cluttering their garden/room up! If you get it right first time you will have happy, healthy rabbits who are longing for a home and a set up you won't need to improve :)
Free range bunnies(using puppy pen panels/c&c cages to stop them getting to wires etc) or a dog crate with puppy pen attached as well as time outside the pen would be best :)

Good quality hay is important and should be 90% of their diet, rabbits don't need feeding constantly (that was for the Victorians fattening up their meat rabbits!) a decent pellet should be thought of as a treat, for example my pair get a handful between them every evening. Things like carrots and banana are full of sugar and shouldn't be given everyday as I've seen it done before :shock:

Rescues have loads of babies, but if they're indoor I don't think fluffy is a good idea. Mine aren't fluffy but when they moult their fur is everywhere.. It makes a mess and takes forever to brush it out.

As for 'tame', rabbits aren't like cats or dogs who sometimes always want human attention. Mine are happier with each other for company. Rabbits are prey animals so like to keep all 4 paws on the ground, I have many scars from being kicked from my well handled rabbits. They respond better to nose rubs and you being sat on the floor with them I find.

Last edited:

Also, we really like the look of the fluffy ones as we want a cuddly one :) and young because it would be nice to tame it from an early age.

Yeah that doesn't really work. I speak from experience ;) I had Smudge from an early age and he hates most people, loves rabbits though. No rabbits are cuddly, some tolerate cuddles, but none really enjoy it. They prefer you to come to their level and give them head rubs.

I would suggest chatting to local rescues. They will be able to give you an idea of the personalities of their bunnies as they see the adult personality. Baby personalities soon change once they hit puberty.

rabbits are very rarely cuddly, most dont like being held or picked up.... they will come to you to be petted and stroked though. It doesnt matter the age a bun can be aggressive even if you have them from when they are young.

if you go to a rescue you can find a bun that suits you guys.

Yeah that doesn't really work. I speak from experience ;) I had Smudge from an early age and he hates most people, loves rabbits though. No rabbits are cuddly, some tolerate cuddles, but none really enjoy it. They prefer you to come to their level and give them head rubs.

I would suggest chatting to local rescues. They will be able to give you an idea of the personalities of their bunnies as they see the adult personality. Baby personalities soon change once they hit puberty.

This totally :D
I had Donny at around 9 weeks old and handled him everyday but he still kicks the hardest.. He's not even bothered about fuss.
We had Leo when he was 5 years old and he is the easiest to handle and loves being stroked even though he had never been handled and neglected in his previous home.

I have three rabbits. ONE allows us to pick her up, and none of them like to be cuddled. They're tame in that they don't attack you, that's about as good as it gets :lol:

Welcome to the forum :)

I personally deteste the phrase 'taming' an animal. That implies you want the animal, in this case a rabbit, to change. No rabbit needs to change, they are all perfect. What you need to do is win a bunnies trust so YOU have prove to THEM that you can be trusted, however that doesn't mean a bunny will be cuddly, just that they will hopefull trust you.

It sounds like what would be ideal for you would be to go to a rescue and describe the kind of rabbit you want and a reputable rescue (one who spays/neuters and vaccinates) will know their bunnies and be able to match the right rabbits to you. Ideally you actually want spayed/neutered adults because babies still have adolesence to go through and they have a complete personality change with hormones. So if you know you have an adult that is spayed/neutered then you know exactly what you are getting with that particular bunny.

It would probably be advisable to look for personality over looks though; you may find one with both, but personality is more important to meaning you and them have the happiest life together.

You wouldn't happen to be on hamster central forum would you? If so I would wait and see if your trio of hams falls out first before having bunnies, ham cages for 3 will be pricey! :) on top of buying everything for rabbits :)

Rabbits may look fluffy and cute but they can be expensive and if bought from a shop they aren't vaccinated/neutered so when they reach the hormonal age they can cause havoc. Spraying etc. They are also very social animals so rescues will pair them off and rehome them like that. I have heard many people going to buy a rabbit because they only wanted one and they didn't want such a big enclosure cluttering their garden/room up! If you get it right first time you will have happy, healthy rabbits who are longing for a home and a set up you won't need to improve :)
Free range bunnies(using puppy pen panels/c&c cages to stop them getting to wires etc) or a dog crate with puppy pen attached as well as time outside the pen would be best :)

Good quality hay is important and should be 90% of their diet, rabbits don't need feeding constantly (that was for the Victorians fattening up their meat rabbits!) a decent pellet should be thought of as a treat, for example my pair get a handful between them every evening. Things like carrots and banana are full of sugar and shouldn't be given everyday as I've seen it done before :shock:

Rescues have loads of babies, but if they're indoor I don't think fluffy is a good idea. Mine aren't fluffy but when they moult their fur is everywhere.. It makes a mess and takes forever to brush it out.

As for 'tame', rabbits aren't like cats or dogs who sometimes always want human attention. Mine are happier with each other for company. Rabbits are prey animals so like to keep all 4 paws on the ground, I have many scars from being kicked from my well handled rabbits. They respond better to nose rubs and you being sat on the floor with them I find.

Yep were from hamster central aswell :) Ive already got 4 spare cages incase any of them fall out (as i have 6 hamsters e.g. trio, double and single) :)

We are hoping to find two rabbit's that are already vaccinated/neutered if possible, will not be a problem if not though.

I agree with the puppy pens and dog crates, they look a good size and very stable. Have found a few i like so far, will also give them lots of outside play aswell :)

Thanks for the advice.

Yep were from hamster central aswell :) Ive already got 4 spare cages incase any of them fall out (as i have 6 hamsters e.g. trio, double and single) :)

We are hoping to find two rabbit's that are already vaccinated/neutered if possible, will not be a problem if not though.

I agree with the puppy pens and dog crates, they look a good size and very stable. Have found a few i like so far, will also give them lots of outside play aswell :)

Thanks for the advice.

:thumb:

Thanks for the advice.

awesome!

I have a fluffy bunny (cashmere lop)- he is a nightmare.

He needs daily grooming which he hates and so my relationship with him is nill as he just associates me with being brushed. He regularly gets stasis from swallowing hair and getting bloked up. Costs me a fortune at the vets.

He also is in pain quite often as when he moults the fur matts and it pulls his skin.

He should never have been bred.

Welcome to the forum :)

I personally deteste the phrase 'taming' an animal. That implies you want the animal, in this case a rabbit, to change. No rabbit needs to change, they are all perfect. What you need to do is win a bunnies trust so YOU have prove to THEM that you can be trusted, however that doesn't mean a bunny will be cuddly, just that they will hopefull trust you.

This and double this again...:thumb:

Just a point about outside play, you probably have already guessed this but, avoid it during the winter time. You want to avoid any sudden changes in temperature so I let mine outside when it's warm enough for me to sit out there with them. I always supervise anyway but that's a good guide, I find, of when the temperature is warm enough for them.

Just a point about outside play, you probably have already guessed this but, avoid it during the winter time. You want to avoid any sudden changes in temperature so I let mine outside when it's warm enough for me to sit out there with them. I always supervise anyway but that's a good guide, I find, of when the temperature is warm enough for them.

Ooh sorry ment outside play as in to play outside of the cage/pen indoors :) Thank you for mentioning about the sudden temperature change though i will take that in mind.

Back