• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit care info for the literacy-challenged?

catxx

Mama Doe
I was wondering if anyone knows of any rescues who have produced booklets or info packs for those with literacy problems? To include not being able to read a word?

Caroline at Rabbit Residence did a rescue today, P@H rabbits sexed wrongly, kept in a 3ft hutch, resulted in a litter of 8 babies. She's taken the male to get him neutered and rehomed, but has had to leave the mother behind in a hutch so small she can't even stand up properly. The hutch was from a different pet shop, but it was the P@H VET the didn't sex the rabbits properly! The other issue was the owners have literacy problems and no internet, so leaflets full of words or videos on the internet are completely useless and they won't be educated on proper rabbit care.

(What happens to the mother and babies at the moment has yet to be decided.)

So I was wondering if anyone knew of any booklets or leaflets produced and designed for those with reading problems?

How about putting some videos on dvd (if she has access)?

while a good idea, in practice that could rely on someone being able to mash together videos and write them to DVDs, I haven't messed around with writing things to DVDs for years and wouldn't know where to start haha!

a good idea nonetheless though, if a batch could be put together it would also save on cost. maybe I'll ask the RWAF if they've done this? *goes to look*

Ah ha! Has anyone got this/watched it? Is there text on screen along with it?
http://www.bunnybazaar.com/HCLHNOG/Educational/DVD--Houndstars-New-Owners-Guide-DVD

Haven't see that one before, maybe drop them a email and ask? It's got to good advice if they stock/recommend it.

If leaflets etc. are publsihed on the net in the right way then audio readers (designed for partially sighted and blind people) will read the text out via the computer speaker. I'm not sure whether you can get audio reader software for free but it'd be a good option for people who can't read.

If leaflets etc. are publsihed on the net in the right way then audio readers (designed for partially sighted and blind people) will read the text out via the computer speaker. I'm not sure whether you can get audio reader software for free but it'd be a good option for people who can't read.

a nice idea but some of the people we have come across do not have a computer at all, let alone the knowledge on how to download software. sadly some of these people have, well I can't put it that politely, below-average IQ's.

a nice idea but some of the people we have come across do not have a computer at all, let alone the knowledge on how to download software. sadly some of these people have, well I can't put it that politely, below-average IQ's.

I figured that would be the case but was trying not to assume.

Back