• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need to learn to say no! now with pics

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
My cousin split up with his gf and could no longer keep the bunny as she didnt want it and he had nowhere safe for it (his dads has dogs that would very happily eat it and his mum wouldnt have it there). SO he has asked if I could take it. Stupidly I said yes, Ill try and find him a good home. So now I have the most adorable little bun sat in my spare hutch and I know I wont be able to get him neutered til after xmas, and then have to find him a new home with a friend. I say him, he came from a pet shop and as he turned up at 9:30 last night I didnt get much chance to do a thorough check, so will do that after work, and even then Im not totally confident with sexing, especially as he's probably not even 6 months.

So pics to follow, but I have a new addition, hopefully short term. He'll be off to the vets next week once Im sure he's settled, and as he's currently being quarantined as he isnt vaccinated and although has been healthy I would rather be sure. Poor guy has rather less space than I would like, but doesnt seem to mind, very sweet little thing if a little timid. He is a lionhead cross at a guess, has a little mane and quite a lot of coat fluff but not like normal lionhead fluff, and he is larger than your average lionhead. He is white with darker nose and ears, dark eyes, but is scanning, so im guessing his eyesight isnt great, took him a minute to find his dinner! He tucked right into his hay and his eyes are clean so Im hoping he hasnt got tooth issues. I dont have the space for another full setup really, but couldnt let him end up with someone not loving him. At least if I get him vaccinated and neutered he can find a good home.

ETA: And pics!!! He didnt come with a name :cry: so I havent named him yet

Photo0246.jpg

Photo0243.jpg

Last edited:
Poor little fella (well reasonably sure now Ive checked, although he is still immature) is pretty much blind, but incredibly friendly, cant see it being hard for him to get a girlfriend and a new home! I would keep him, but Im pretty sure my 2 wouldnt accept a third bun and theyre so happy it seems silly to risk a split.

Other than getting him checked over by a vet, is there anything more I should be doing for him? He's eating enthusiastically and no tummy troubles yet or anything sinister. I cant see any skin irritations, all bright and healthy looking so far. Im swapping him from the lower fibre pellets he came on to excel as thats what mine are best on, and he has a mountain of meadow hay. Is it safe for him to have apple twigs and dried herbs or is that likely to upset his tum? I think he is probably 5 months ish, so quite young really. Its a bit fluffy down below so I cant see testicles, but Im relatively sure its a boy, so Im guessing immature but Im not a pro, and he isnt making it easy! He is deceptively fluffy all over, and had a couple of small matted bits, less than 5mm size and I removed these and have brushed him. Its been ages since i had a fluffy bun!

Sounds as though you're doing everything right.
I think he'd love apple twigs to nom.
And when I checked biscuit to see if he was a boy I pressed gently on either side of the opening and a penis pops out. That's the easiest way to tell I find.
Also have a look at your females bits then have a look at the new bunny.
How do you know he's blind?
And can I suggest you call him Bryon. :love: he looks like a bryon I think :) and if he's a girl change it to bryony.. :p

If you think he's got sight troubles I'd definitely recommend taking him to vet asap as there may be an underlying cause :(

Sounds as though you're doing everything right.
I think he'd love apple twigs to nom.
And when I checked biscuit to see if he was a boy I pressed gently on either side of the opening and a penis pops out. That's the easiest way to tell I find.
Also have a look at your females bits then have a look at the new bunny.
How do you know he's blind?
And can I suggest you call him Bryon. :love: he looks like a bryon I think :) and if he's a girl change it to bryony.. :p

He's fidgety and fluffy so was hard to tell the sex, he looks like my neutered boy I think, but neither of my two appreciate being picked up and poked about much, they prefer all 4 paws on the ground. I believe he's blind because you can have food moved about in front of his face and unless it smells strongly or is moved within touching distance he doesnt seem to know its there. He was very tentative when I first put him in the hutch, like he had to check each step first. He appears to have very little vision at all, just cant see a dandelion unless I put it under his nose and I guess at that point he can smell it. He has a very blank look in his eye, like he doesnt look at you or interact like my other bunnies. He has found the apple twigs I left for him (Im sure nan wont notice I did some pruning when I went to get some hay :oops:).

He's supposed to be heading for a checkup and vaccinations next week, do you think I should take him ASAP instead? He hasnt had very high fibre diet before so I was working on improving it a bit (the poos are smaller and darker than I would like, although it was like a minefield after just one day so cant be too bad!). I was trying to avoid the stress of the vets til he's settled and stable as he looked rather scared in the carry cage when he arrived.

Id get him to vets asap the problem with his sight is important enough to get it checked quickly.
If he can't see his behavoir will differ and the sooner you know the problem the quicker things can be compensated and adjusted for him.
Hope he isn't blind though xx

Back