• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits save money? Ha ha ha!

Fellie

Warren Veteran
When hubby brought Boris home - I did tell him off as he had just spent £100 on Boris and the cage set etc and we were so broke at the time. But Hubby put forward the arguement that Boris would SAVE us money as we would spend more time at home in the evenings instead of going out because we had a bunny to look after. I could sort of see his logic - and plus Boris was so adorable, couldn't stay angry for long.

What we didn't realise was (and these are just estimates):

£70 for bigger hutch
£100 on vaccinations so far
£300 vet bill (repaid back by insurance but struggled to pay it at the time).
£60 on neutering
£70 on dog kennel (why? I don't know - but hubby thought he'd like a place to hide away when out of his hutch - and how many times has he gone in it? - about 10 maybe)
£???? new TV ariel and phone charger
£???? on carrier, blankets, food, toys, hay - etc

£45 on new bunny so he wouldn't be lonely and he has a friend
£70 on her bigger hutch
£50 on her vaccinations
£80 on getting her spayed
£20 replacing computer mouse - where little darling has eating through the wire.
£???? on carrier, blankets, toys, hay - etc

It doesn't end there though:

We have wooden floors - with just a very large carpet rug in the lounge. This made it quite difficult for the bunnies and we noticed that Boris wasn't coming out of his hutch that much and thought it might be because he couldn't get a grip on the floors even though we put down towels and blankets. So that was another £150 spent on a big rug for the dining room. But Boris LOVED it - started binkying as soon as he went on it. But the dining room is open plan with the lounge and the new carpet really didn't match with the lounge carpet -so guess what? Back to the carpet shop and bought matching rug for the lounge - and a smaller one to bridge the gap between the dining room carpet and the lounge carpet - so now bunnies can run straight through without having to navigate a slippery wooden floor...

Yes - it is true - we don't go out in the evenings anymore but our social life is now bottomed out to nothing...some friends understand that we prefer the company of our bunnies to them...but not all of them....

But you know what? I don't resent one penny that we've spent - we've got two happy little children and what more could two slightly bonkers parents ask for?

I once saw a post on a gardening forum saying that people should get rabbits because they're cheap to keep and provide free fertilizer :roll: unfortunately they wouldn't,t listen to me when I explained how rabbits aren't cheap.

Of course they can be really cheap, depending on how you keep them - for example if you free range indoors that saves a whole lot on housing costs. But vet bills are unpredictable.

Back