• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit suddenly start loosing balance, make circles, move head up n down

enigman

New Kit
I have a 1,5 month old rabbit, which all of a sudden without any reason ( i was watching her at the time of the incident) fell down with her back and lost her balance, trying to get up until i catch her. i noticed blood deep inside her left ear. I cleaned it up and the blood stops, but she can't get on her feet, sitting in the floor. after a while she tried to walk but loose balance and flip over again & again. now it is the first day, i think she is a little better but she is still make circles around her and move spasmodically her head up and down and she can't follow a straight line making zig zags when she walks and in some cases she loose balance and flips over.She eats and drinks normaly. Her head when resting is straight but when she walks it leans slightly to the right and the rear right leg is slightly outwards.I poured some betadine with saline in her ear, since i didn't know anything else to do, in case she had an infection. Please help me since there is no vet around here and i have 3 kids which can't stop crying.. Please tell me what i can do because can't find a vet here that knows about rabbits and i can't afford a vet clinic far away. Can you propose me a medicine or a treat? Does the fact of the blood presence deep inside the ear at the same time with the beginning of symptoms can tell us something? .I will take every responsability.Thank you in advance

We're not vets so we can't diagnose over the Internet, even a vet would have trouble doing that without an examination. Sounds like the bunny needs a vet ASAP I'm afraid. I wouldn't put anything else in the ear canal, you may end up making it worse.

Whereabouts are you?

Hope little one is ok and a vet can help.

Many things can cause this, chances are its either EC or a middle or inner ear infection, but you must treat him for both, just in case.
Fenbendazole for the EC, and the ABX will be determined by your vet if you get to see one. I swear my life on Azithromicyn. It took 12 days of this ABX to finally heal my rabbit.

It could also be a stroke...but not sure what to tell you on that one.

It sounds like a middle ear infection or a parasitic infection that can effect the brain and central nervous system.

Please dont put anything else into the ear canal. If the eardrum has perforated (burst) doing so could be catastrophic :cry:

The only treatment is that which could be obtained from a Vet.

What country are you in ? Are there at least any livestock Vets around who could prescribe a systemic antibiotic and pain relief ?

From the symptoms you describe there is absolutely nothing you can do without access to a Vet :cry:

It does sound very much like Pasterella which is a inner ear infection and comes on very suddenly. If you phone the Rabbit Welfare Association they will be able to tell you if you have a rabbit savvy vet close to you. My Roger developed this but was still eating and drinking, but your bunny really needs urgent veterinary attention. Is there anyone who could sit with your children, so that you can go and get your bunny sorted. Really hope you get is sorted quickly.

Back