• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wee soaked through to the floorboards advice on cleaning and smell! UD with photos pg

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I was going to get one of those carpet cleaners you rent from Tescos but I don't know if they'll neutralise the smell. I'm more worried about the smell than stains. Smoo and my hammy have chewed up the carpet so I will need a new one before I move out but I had a peek underneath it and the wee has soaked right through to the floor boards. It's just the smell is making my clothes smell and probably my house too. :(

As soon as I find the best way to clean the carpet I will move the rabbits to an enclosure with a lino (or similar) floor. Grim just can't find the litter tray so it's not his fault, but the smell is making me feel a bit ill right now. Imagine it in the summer! :shock:

I'm wondering if the carpet will dry out when it's that soaked?

Ideas I have are:

Lots of vinegar. Lots and lots of vinegar. Scrub it with a broom. Hoover it. Let it dry out.
Rent a carpet cleaner.
Buy a steam cleaner?

It is really bad. :(

Is it in a specific place? Wild it be worth finding out how much it would cost to replace the boards affected?

Is it in a specific place? Wild it be worth finding out how much it would cost to replace the boards affected?

It's in a few places. :?
I think the boards will be fine when they dry out, but I'm worried if they will. I don't want to have to pull up the carpet and replace it now, as I guess I'll have to do it again anyway. I don't mind it being tatty and chewed while I'm here just as long as it dried out and doesn't smell. :lol:

Sorry, just realised you meant the carpet rather than the boards :oops: sodium bicarb is meant to get rid of smells as well if you brush it in, leave it for a while (maybe overnight?) and then hoover out.

I would go for a carpet cleaner - you can get spot on stain stuff you cover the worst bits in first. That should rinse the carpet which will remove the urine and hopefully with it the smell. You might want to go over it a couple of times. Once it has dried give it a sniff and see how it seems.

I think if you just did vinegar you'd have a job getting rid as it's so saturated. You could always follow up with that after cleaning though.

Wipping the floorboards down with cleaner and then vinegar and leave the carpet up while they dry should help remove scent from them.

If it's really bad and you're planning to replace in future anyway, I guess another option would be to cut out that section of carpet and dump it in the bath with some biological washing powder so can soak/wash/rinse and then hang it up to dry and slot it back in. I wouldn't try it on carpet you wanted to keep long term though.

I swear by Simple Solution. If it get rid of cat pee smells, than rabbit pee will be easy! You can use it in a carpet cleaner, or just put it on and you can get ones for hardboard/floorboards too.

Vinegar would just make everything smell of vinegar and then that would be the smell you're next asking us to get rid of :lol:

Ah, both good ideas! Thank you. I think I might be able to do the room in a few parts if I cut the carpet and stick in the bath. I didn't really realise how big my room was. :oops: The rabbit's new enclosure will be 10ft by 3ft and that's only about a quarter of the room, if that. That will have the rabbit cabinet in it as one hidey hole and the dog crate at the other end for another one. I'm hoping that will be small enough for Grim so he is able to navigate and find the litter tray, while being big enough for Smoo while I'm out. They can have free range when I'm in.

Pulling the carpet up means I can wash the floorboards too and let them dry, it seems like the best option and it's ruined anyway. I think Smoo is being so destructive because the pellets are always down for Grim she fills up on them so isn't grazing as much as she should be... but that's another thread for another day!

So I think the plan is... get the puppy pen, pen up the buns, pull up some of the carpet, wash it and floor boards, let it dry, put it back, move the buns, repeat. Old, ill rabbits. Gotta love them. :love: :lol:

I swear by Simple Solution. If it get rid of cat pee smells, than rabbit pee will be easy! You can use it in a carpet cleaner, or just put it on and you can get ones for hardboard/floorboards too.

Vinegar would just make everything smell of vinegar and then that would be the smell you're next asking us to get rid of :lol:

:thumb:
Simple Solution is the best product Ive ever come across

I don't think you're supposed to saturate carpet by soaking it, as it doesn't dry very fast. If it doesn't dry fast enough you'll end up with worse smells than before (think that musty wet washing smell).

I hired a Rug Doctor recently, which was pretty good. Way better than the Vax carpet cleaner I had anyway. It was so noisy though!

I think you're right. I'm going to try a rug doctor. Maybe I'll try some simple solution first... I'm buying the puppy pen on Friday.

No carpet advice. Mine is going tomorrow. :D

If the board isn't drying because of the carpet, can you lift it out and turn it over. Should be a gap under the floor so it can dry out.

The playpen has been ordered! One step closer to no pee smell in my house. :D

I think I'm going to rent the carpet cleaner first and see how that goes. Does anyone know how long you have to wait until the carpet is dry after using them?

Depends on the thickness of the carpet. My thicker carpet took over 24 hours to dry, but the thinner one much less time.

It has begun!

I emptied my room and rented a rug doctor... six hours later... and it's definitely cleaner! The water coming out of the rug doctor was the colour of hot chocolate. :shock: I went over my carpet three times and the colour of the water got a little lighter, but it could really do with going over another ten times... It does smell better, the smell hasn't completely gone but I got some spray that helps elimiate urine smells for pets. When it's dry I have to spray that on and saturate the carpet. I'll let you know how it goes. :thumb:

Right now the bunsters are chilling out in the dog crate in the bathroom. I want the carpet to dry ASAP so I get get their new enclosure set up and move them in. My friend said it was really uncomfortable going to the toilet with two rabbits watching him. :lol:

However I had a bath and all the steam in the air must have been good for Grim. :D

The colour of hot chocolate :shock:

:lol::lol::lol:

I do worry about your carpet Jenova. Sounds :shock: Please don't tell me is was originally cream.:lol:

Ours is out now. Should have seen the colour underneath, it was :shock: too. Actually there was a lot of mildew stains, think that must have been from my attempts soaking with soap powder, then vinegar, then carpet cleaner. Life is so much easier without carpet.

It's red. :lol:

I'm not sure it's worked though. I opened the door and we could still smell a smell. :(
I think I might have to get lino fitted. :(:(

It's red. :lol:

I'm not sure it's worked though. I opened the door and we could still smell a smell. :(
I think I might have to get lino fitted. :(:(

I wonder if it is a mildrew/mouldy smell. I really hate carpet now, a haven of stains and smells. I remember renting a flat with carpet in the bathroom and kitchen, not easy to look after with a toddler. What happens if you spilt a roast dinner on it, straight from the oven.:mrgreen:

Really hope its ok tomorrow.

It's done but I'm not happy with it. :? The flooring is really bad and it was making my grumpy and I was doing it worse and that was making me grumpier... etc :lol: I think I just need a big bit of lino to redo it. It's also a little structurally unsound. Hammy's cage is propping up the corner, but the buns are in.

IMG_20121209_195529.jpg

IMG_20121209_195537.jpg

Back