• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what can cause a bun to not eat caecotrophs?

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
I know there probably has been loads of threads on this but I can't find any particularly recent/helpful ones! It has been going on for the past few weeks and has me utterly confused. Alfie and Roo are leaving loads of caecotrophs and I have no idea why! they're fit and well, they eat their pellets and their hay really well, they aren't chubsters - they're a good weight! I haven't added anything new to their diet, I've taken out all veggies/anything other than pellets and hay as well. I want to avoid a vet trip if possible because they get so stressed, but obviously if one is needed then i'll take them. I just can't think what could be causing it?:?

There's too much nutrient in their diet, & they make more than they need.

They don't smell right to the bun, although they seem normal to us. Common causes:
Medication.
Mild inbalance of caecal microorganisms cause by too much nutrient - too many pellets are the commonest cause. Some buns can only tolerate certain brands.

If the caecotrophs are normal. Try a hay only diet for 2 weeks. You need a good sweet smelling hay with a good mix of grasses. You should find that they'll make more poops as they eat more to compensate for the lower nutrient value.

Thumps... what make of hay would you suggest as being suitable?..

Willow appears to be having the same issue as JemimaH buns...

There's too much nutrient in their diet, & they make more than they need.

They don't smell right to the bun, although they seem normal to us. Common causes:
Medication.
Mild inbalance of caecal microorganisms cause by too much nutrient - too many pellets are the commonest cause. Some buns can only tolerate certain brands.

If the caecotrophs are normal. Try a hay only diet for 2 weeks. You need a good sweet smelling hay with a good mix of grasses. You should find that they'll make more poops as they eat more to compensate for the lower nutrient value.

It's getting freezing here - down to -5 soon overnight. I don't really feel comfortable not giving them pellets to be honest? They get 2 eggcups between them every morning and evening.

It's getting freezing here - down to -5 soon overnight. I don't really feel comfortable not giving them pellets to be honest? They get 2 eggcups between them every morning and evening.

Sorry I didn't know they were having so little.
a)which pellets are you using? Some seem to have a tendancy to do this.
b) I'd be surprised if you can find any wild blackberry leaves at that temp, but you can buy them on the net. Try giving a couple of blackberry leaves & build it up. If the buns go for them, they need them.

Fee, the sort of hays which are a good mix are hays like burns organic mountain/welsh meadow hays. The Hay Experts used to give trial packs of different hays. Just mix a couple of different types together.

Back