• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit unbalanced and stumbling, but vets closed??!

Hi,
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've just noticed 1 of my rabbits (7 year old lionhead) has started stumbling and appears very unbalanced. I've put him back in his cage and put his food and water next to his bed to try and stop him moving around too much and to keep him as comfy as possible. But the big thing is its Sunday and my vets is closed until tomorrow morning. Ive read that an unbalanced and stumbling rabbit could have an ear infection, what can I do until then to keep him comfy or prevent any further problems?

Thanks for any help!

Most vets have an out of hours option. If you call them is there an answer machine telling you what to do? If not are there other vets open in the area?

Your vets will have an emergency out of hours service and you will need to call them. He definitely needs to be seen today. If you call your vets then that should probably lead you to a voicemail with a number to call for emergencies.

I think there could be many reasons for that, ear infection, EC, stroke, injury, so I'd want him to be seen today. If you call your vets number they should have a recorded message with the emergency out of hours number. Hope he'll be OK xx

ETA: Didn't see the above replies when I posted! :oops:

Can only echo the above. I've been in your position; unbalanced, stumbling rabbit on a Sunday. It was morning for us so we were able to get the Sunday morning surgery but I'm certain if we hadn't taken him as soon as we'd found him like that he wouldn't have made it. There should be an answerphone message with details for an emergency vet.

Or pets at homes are open sundays until 4pm they have an onsite vets,I agree with all above I had to call out of hours vets not long back with same symptoms.Fingers crossed for you x

Back