• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long to use panancur to treat diagnosed e cuniculi

karina_b

New Kit
Hi everyone my rabbit was diagnosed with e cuniculi 2nd oct 2012 and vet no 1 gave 2 days baytril & 9 days panacur I wasn't confident this was enough so took him to vet no 2 who gave 12 more days baytril & 28 days panacur.Rabbit still is rolling and hates bright light.Any ideas on where to go from here?Thankyou

For head tilt/rolling due to EC I would expect:
metacam or similar (anti-inflammatory)
Panacur for 28days minimum, bleach cleaning on days 21 and 28 to get rid of the EC spores being shed
Baytril or other antibiotic in case it's not EC but an ear infection as it can cause the same symptoms

If the rolling is very bad, a vet may be prepared to use Stemetil (a human drug so is not licensed for rabbits) which treats vertigo and dizziness in humans. We found this helped Brownie when she had head tilt.

If you don't get the support you want from either of the vets you've tried so far, it might be worth putting your location up on here and asking for recommendations.

There are several EC/headtilt treatment threads already on here that may help you.

As above really, when our boy was diagnosed with ec we was given baytril, metacam and panacur for 28 days

If the rolling is very bad, a vet may be prepared to use Stemetil (a human drug so is not licensed for rabbits) which treats vertigo and dizziness in humans. We found this helped Brownie when she had head tilt

I asked about anti inflammatories and anti vertigo drugs but vet wasnt willing to prescribe them,what dose did you use for the stemetil?Thats interesting as I have been trawling so much information on this subject and not really getting so far I have ended up ordering dramamine from america but it hasn't arrived yet.

Did Brownie fully recover?I hope so

Thanks for the replys

Seem ot rememver Richard Saunders recommending 6 weeks of panacur based on latest research at the RWA conference year before last

When our Chalk had confirmed case of E Cuniculi it was a 28 day course of Panacur for both her and all our other bunnies (precautionery).
If still rolling would suggest keeping the bun in a small space with lots of padding (old towels are good) until it eases a bit.

Hi everyone my rabbit was diagnosed with e cuniculi 2nd oct 2012 and vet no 1 gave 2 days baytril & 9 days panacur I wasn't confident this was enough so took him to vet no 2 who gave 12 more days baytril & 28 days panacur.Rabbit still is rolling and hates bright light.Any ideas on where to go from here?Thankyou

When our Chalk had confirmed case of E Cuniculi it was a 28 day course of Panacur for both her and all our other bunnies (precautionery).
If still rolling would suggest keeping the bun in a small space with lots of padding (old towels are good) until it eases a bit.

I had him in his hutch with plenty towels and semi waterproof dog bed cushion but when he rolled he was moving the towels and then hitting the wood so moved him into his play tent and padded it out the same it seems to be only when he gets stressed the rolling comes on like you need to pick him up or clean him out,I just thought the rolling would have subsided by now but guess it's going to take longer.x

Back