• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Damp in top of hutch - been offered new roof.

alisont

Mama Doe
About 18 months ago I brought my rabbit a new hutch - he's since died and I've moved my 2 outdoor guineas in as more space for them.

Recently I've noticed damp along the top inside by the roof join - never had this problem before - thought it was condensation as I have a strong tarpaulin over it, but this is now damp along the top and a bit of mould.

I can't have is for the guineas so emailed the company manager asking for advice - see if I needed to replace the felt or could I treat it, he's replied to offer a new roof - I just need to pay courier costs £20 delivery. This seems a very nice offer to me as I've had this 18 months and with the recent rain levels damp is not surprising. The hutch is too big to get into the garage but if I get a new roof part I can put it in the garage until its dry and I'll ask my neighbour to fit it as he's great at things like that - he built the hutch up from flat pack as he saw me struggling with it.

I will cover the new roof with a tarpaulin but I need to dry the join out first so that won't be easy.

Will try and get photos tomorrow - see if anyone here can advise me on preventing this from happening again.

In the ideal world I'd not have the guineas outdoors but I can't fit anymore cages in my room but if we get a really bad winter I may need to move the boys into the garage - its not ideal but is bone dry in there and wind proof but I'd only get one of the old 4 foot hutches in there. I'd worry it would be too dark in there for them daytimes but could leave the light on. I'm still in the long process of clearing the garage.

Think I'm going to have to see about a shed next year but that would involve slabbing ground work and buying a shed.

Thought it was very good of this guy to offer me a new roof part, I'd not asked for anything other than advice as trout he could tell me what the best way to treat the wood would be.

I think thats a really decent offer by the hutch company given the hellish weather of late!!

That's what I thought - I will reply tomorrow to thank him for such a kind offer - I'd not expected that having just asked for advice as thought I'd get advise on what I needed to do like re felting or getting some kind of sealant - it has had a tarpaulin on whenever its rained a good quality one but with the level of heavy rain recently I wasn't surprised to find a damp area in the join.

I'll have to get a photo tomorrow as I don't know what type it is I'm afraid. I'd not be able to put felt on - not unless I buy a staple gun or what's needed but bet my neighbour would help if asked.
I'm happy to accept the kind offer of a new roof but will send him photos first - if its easy to re felt it that would save the company having to provide a new roof.
If we keep getting this amount of rain I may have to move the guineas to the garage.

You can get thicker felt from b&q. It is more heavy duty and it relatively easy to fit to give you added protection!!!! I dont think its too costly either.

Thank you I'm going to look at thicker felt.
Have phoned the office of this company today the very nice chap there is insisting that I have a new roof sent out - I have to measure up and ring him tomorrow - he's saying he will make it up tomorrow for delivery Wednesday! I've said there is no rush & how kind an offer this is. This guy said how they like to look after their customers - I'm very impressed with their customer service.

I'm going to look at the thicker felt as I'd like to put more on the new lid and will treat it before using it too if that helps. I can keep the new roof in the garage to do any work to it and I'll need to ask my neighbour to fit the roof on - he assembled the hutch as I couldn't and he kindly offered to sort it as he's a builder/surveyor person.

Until this rain lets up I can't swap roofs round.

I want to get a better breathable tarpaulin cover too so need to look into that too.

My new roof arrived the next day - such great customer service.
The TNT delivery lorry guy was searching for the rest of the hutch in his van not realising it was just the roof - he held up all the traffic in our road - until Dad told him its just the roof:lol:
Just need to ask the neighbour if he will fit it for me but will get a new tarpaulin first.

Back