• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning Bunnies feet and hocks

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya

When we got Willow, she was clean but her feet and hocks were absolutely filthy and stained brown.

Shes now home and settled but sadly her legs are the same, any ideas how I clean them or at least attempt to improve them?

It doesnt help that she pees and poos literally everywhere and has no idea what the litter tray is for...

Suggestions?

thanks
Fee xxxx

I'm not sure, but just bumping this up for you.

Bunnies generaly take care of their own keeping clean (my Spenser is OCD - I once saw him spend a good 5 minuted on one foot, which looked perfectly clean to me!). I seem to remember reading on here a while ago that trying to clean paws for bunnies could cause problems for their skin. Hopefully once she learns to use the litter tray the problem will sort itself out.

I have 3 white bunnies, 2 who are immaculate and one messy so and so who likes to sit in his own wee. He is, ahem, special!
Assuming her poos and wees are okay, its not diet or health related (worth mentioning to your vet just for peace of mind) then, unless its bothering her I would just leave it be. The bottom of Bobbys feet are brown and he tends to get a little bit around his tail too. As long as its not wet or causing him discomfort I would just leave it BUT in the summer be extra vigilant as flies will be attracted to her more, risk of flystrike etc etc. I keep any excess hair in the area clipped to keep it more tidy and have used baby wipes on occasion if he is especially dirty, but generally I leave well alone.

Last edited:
I have noticed that today there have been several uneaten caecotrophs? in the run and they were quite big...

I intend to make a visit to vet next week for both of them as i would like to check their feet and ears. and to give Willow a once over..

Hmmm, babywipes, i cold maybe try them, honestly, they are filthy!!

thanks
Fee xxxx

Uneaten caecotrophs definitely worth a mention at the vet. Have you introduced anything new to their diet?

Off topic, but have you any photos of the new couple? :love:

Thanks Susie...... I have introduced new bedding hay (farm hay from local pet shop), they like eating this.? but am still giving them alfalfa King Timothy Hay which they love.....

They've had herbs and Kale? The Kale has only been in the last couple of days and I havent given too much.. Should I cut this out?

Sorry, no decent pics. I was away today and this has been the first day of good weather too....Typical...

my hubby is getting me a shed for my Crimbo so the buns will be in there shortly.. Plenty photo opportunities then!!!

I will definitelh get her to the vet. Its quite concerning as I hadnt seen any before. Do you think it could be the new environment of the run being introduced after a confinement to hutch?.. Maybe a change has caused it.. I dont know but if I do see it again tomorrow. I'll be quite concerned...

My Willows feet were really dirty as well. But give it a few weeks and shell clean them herself, its not a health issue.
Keep an eye on the poo though. xx

Kale was Spenser's favourite, but I stopped him having it as it is quite high in calcium, and with only one rabbit and none of the humans here liking it we either wasted a lot or gave Spenser too much. :oops:

It might be worth cutting it out for a few days to see if the rogue caecotrophs stopped.

Don't tell Spenser you've been giving them kale, or he'll be wanting it back on his menu. ;)

Oops susie saw this late!!! Didnt see anything today and gave them kale!!!!!

Will def keep a close eye today. Willow feet and legs are even dirtier today . It is wet out there and her pooping everywhere doesnt help .... Its actually really disgusting ..

Will def take her to vet.

Any suggestions on quick way to litter train? I had taken poos qnd some peed bedding and put into litter tray!!! No luck

Psssst - Spenser ..... Want some Kale ???? Dont tell Mummy!!!!!!

Hi Fee

Willow has had quite a lot of things to adjust to (leaving his foster home, to be bonded, to her new home) lots of things to cause a wee bit of stress.

AFAIK not eating ceacotrophs is because the diet is too rich, i would cut back on pellets (im having the same issues with baby Buntyand was feeding extra as she is a baby, but its not suiting her). Dirty feet, well, i cant say much, Giles has filthy feet just now as he just sits in pee :roll: it doesnt help that my group of 4 will not use the trays provided :roll:. I dont worry unduly though, its not causing him harm :D.

I was hoping to come to Debbies last Sunday to say hello to you when you picked up the buns, but my stepdaughter decided she did not wish to leave the house and nothing would convince her otherwise :lol:.

Awww Shazza ... Thats a pity!! Would loved to have met you...

Thanks for advice.. Will stop pellets then. She does seem really well in herself, i love her boundless enthusiasm and she is eating well and keeping Floppy in check. I think he's mellowed him!!!!!!!

Fee xxxxx

Feed a little drop of pellets, just not as many as you were :D once she starts to ear her poo again you will have a better idea of the right amount of pellets to suit her :D

She's quite newly spayed isn't she? The litter training may improve once she's settled down, there may still be a little hormonal territorial marking going on, especially as its a new home so new territory too. For now I would just use as many litter trays as possible to make it easier to keep clean, and hopefully over time you can reduce the numbers to the ones they use the most.

I would be concerned about the excess caecatrophs, though. If I'm reading you right, she had stained fur before you adopted her, which suggests that this isn't something caused by the move...although a change in diet can exacerbate it. If the diet is too rich then it can cause this, so do go back to basics and through a process of trial and error work out what she can tolerate. What pellets is she on, I have always found that excel seems to exacerbate excess caecatrophs in bunnies I have had. I do also think a vet check is worthwhile, there can be other health reasons for not eating them, for instance a dental problem, obesity, arthritis, so these are worth ruling out so that you can concentrate on making subtle changes to the diet over time to see what works best. If the staining and lack of oitter training is also due to weeing everywhere, e.cuniculi might be a possibility.

Hopefully though, it's just going to be a case of trial and error with diet and introducing new foods very slowly, she may just have a particularly sensitive tummy. Good luck xx

Hi Santa...

Thanks.. Fairly Beloved had her on Excel pellets and I just continued with that. I dont think that Debbie noticed anything while they were with her bonding.

Another thing is she is thin. I wouldnt say excessively so but she certainly isnt carrying any extra weight, her eyes are clear and she looks ok in herself.

I will certainly take on all your advice. I will stick to the hay I am using and make few changes gradually to see if I can find out...

I sound like a real pain but today I tried to lift her to check her bum and she went totally nuts. I had her in a towel too to keep her safe and tight... It looks clear but her legs were literally making me gag as, they were so dirty. Would the vet be able to clean them to see of all is ok underneath??

Another litter tray will be put in today.

Will keep you posted... Thanks everybody for your advice!!!:thumb:

Unfortunately the pooing everywhere is unlikely to stop. It isa way for them to mark territory and no matter how good they are at using their tray, some will always do it. If their feet are just muddy then don't worry, they can clean them on their own. As for the excess cecals, cut out greens and restrict pellets a bit to see if things improve. I am around all week if you would like to pop up and get some hay for them and say hello.:wave:

Thanks Ali!!!, thats lovely of you.....!,

i will certainly take your advice... the diet meister is on the case!!!!,heehee

The feet arent grass muddy.. Just bogging!!!! They are on slabs just now as my grass is like a swimming pool. think its just simply poo ridden..... Eeeewww, gross .......

Fee xxx

Thanks.. Fairly Beloved had her on Excel pellets and I just continued with that. I dont think that Debbie noticed anything while they were with her bonding.

:wave: personally I would try swapping (gradually, as with everything else) onto a different brand of pellets, in my experience this always helps a lot or even resolves completely. Some buns really thrive on excel, it seems too rich for others for some reason. If she is thin I would be reluctant to cut pellets out completely; vet check is definitely good first port of call and hopefully a sensible plan of action to increase weight can be agreed. I would ensure that the vet checks her teeth really well as excesss caecatrophs plus thin bunny can often be due to emerging dental problems - perhaps only brought on by a few days lower appetite post-spay if there were underlying issues before which weren't quite severe enough to have caused a problem. Good luck x

Thanks Santa,, I must confess to be getting slightly worried....

I thought her "physique' was due to her being exceptionally active, she hardly sits still.....

No worries I'll arrange vet trip straight away... Uh oh, always a risk if you are taking on the unknown.....

Hope you get her poo situation in order. I do feel sorry for our bunnies as we are forever talking about their bodily functions on RU. Always in thier best interests though.

You probably know this already, but if changing pellets a gradual switch over is best. Also, if the vet confirms she is underweight it mght be worth trying pro-fibre as a supplement.

Back