• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Death of a brother

17firefly

New Kit
Can anyone tell me what's best as we have 2 rabbits Dutch blues they were brothers Jeeves and Wooster so both 2 1\2 years. We came down to find one passed away this morning and were worried that the other may need company so is it best to get a new rabbit straight away or is it best just to let him be.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Keep a close eye on him as they can fret for their partner. Make sure he is eating an pooping. One of my girls lost her partner in May and 3-4 weeks later she went into statis as I think her gut had gradually slowed down (they had been together 6 years)

I have previously been out within a week to get one from a rescue but it will depend on how you and your bunny are coping.

I'm very sorry for both your losses.

Do you know why he died? If not then you definitely need to go through a period of quarantine (at least 4 weeks) before considering another bunny. If you do know why he died then potentially you may need to do that anyway.

I'm very sorry for both your losses.

Do you know why he died? If not then you definitely need to go through a period of quarantine (at least 4 weeks) before considering another bunny. If you do know why he died then potentially you may need to do that anyway.

Sorry yes, should have thought of that (I knew why mine passed away and it was nothing contagious).

Thanks

Thanks for the replies and we will keep an eye on him. We think its was stomach related as he's had problems before and nearly died. If we do get another rabbit what's best in terms of age and sex of a new friend he's already been snipped?

Last edited:
I have only ever had boy/girl bonds but others have had same sex bonds but I think they can be a little harder. Similar age and size is probably the ideal but not a necessity. Most of mine have had a couple of years between them, mainly because that was the ages in the rescues at the time and not for any other reason.

Thanks for the replies and we will keep an eye on him. We think its was stomach related as he's had problems before and nearly died. If we do get another rabbit what's best in terms of age and sex of a new friend he's already been snipped?

Your best bet is to liaise with a rescue about your bunny and look for a neutered/spayed and vaccinated bunny that is likely to bond with your chap. If your boy can choose his own new friend then even better.

Back