• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mr. Yug Not Eating

TickTock

Alpha Buck
I brought Mr. Yug in from the cold about 3 days ago. Due to his age (15!) I felt he deserved to be in the warm this winter. Now he's not eating save for carrot tops and bread which are his two favourite treats.

I'm not sure but I think he's missing An (our Giant) who used to sit next to his cage at night. I've tried bringing her in for a visit but nothing seems to of happened to cheer him up. I can't bring An in because I'm allergic (Mr Yug has fine, short hair which isn't as much of an issue), I have no cage that can hold her and she cant be in the room Mr. Yug is in without being contained.

But at the same time, I cant put Mr. Yug out because he's used to the warm now.

I really don't know what to do... :(

Whilst it may be the change of environment that has upset him I would get him checked by a Vet as there may be a health problem going on too.

Can you bring his outdoor hutch indoors so he at least has a familiar base to be in ?

Agree with Jane about a vets visit but would hope that after three days he could still go outside if you acted fast. His coat/fat layers will still be gearerd up for winter. A number of my rabbits refuse to eat indoors - they just hate being there. :?

ETA Could you put him out but with a snuggle safe to keep him warmer?

I've had outdoor buns that wouldn't eat or poo indoors, I think it was all just too strange for them. Once back in their normal environment they behaved normally again.

Hope he starts eating again soon. Sending lots of vibes for Mr Yug xx

He seems a bit happier today and has eaten a bit but not as much as I'd like.

As for going to the vets, last I took him the vet told me not to bring him unless it was a major issue; He's blind and gets very highly stressed in the car/in different place. Eyes budging like they were about to pop kind of scared :( After we took him he refused to eat for 3 days afterwards and that was just a check up.

Back