• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Conservatory warm enough

Borismeister

Young Bun
The buns have free reign of the conservatory. There's a door mat by the kitchen door so they can look forlornly when they want to come in. There's a door mat by the back door so they can look forlornly when they want to go out. There's a big cushion on top of the storage box and a table with an old towel under and an old tablecloth and blanket over the top for the to hide under.

I do wonder if this is warm enough? Are they OK on the cold tiles hopping over to their food and water? Are they warm enough at night?

I can only imagine they don't mind as Piggles will lie on the tiles next to Bunny, who has always been King of the Kitchen Doormat. I do worry that she's not doing it out of choice as much as just wanting to be near Bunny, but he won't let her on his mat with him. I did try to put a bed down for her next to him, but they keep moving it.

Should I get a bigger rug, or more mats, for them to hop across? Perhaps an indoor hutch so they're off the ground a bit and can snuggle into some hay?

What do other conservatory dwellers do to keep warm?

They will be fine!!!

My hard core outside rabbit, Dorset George, never goes in a hutch, let alone indoors (he hates any sort of confinement). When there was snow on the ground he did make the concession of sitting under the shed at night time, but as soon as it was light immediately sat out in the snow. I realise this isn't possible for everyone, as I have a large securely fenced garden and seeemingly no local foxes (horses in adjacent fields may deter them), but he's had four and a half years of blissful bunny life so far, and the cold is not an issue for him at all. Your buns sound very lucky and I should stop worrying. :wave:

Lucky boy, what freedom! My rabbits have free run of the garden whenever they like via the catflap, but they're pretty soft and prefer to be in out of the rain!

I just know I'm not going to sleep this winter if it gets supercold.

My pair were in our conservatory last year and got on fine. They had a cage in their too with a litter box full of hay and seemed plenty warm.

Back