• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!!!!

Fred and Lils mum

Warren Scout
Hi, my beautiful Lillie as gone in for girlie operation today and would appreciate any help and advice about this. I dont know what to expect when she comes home but i know i have to keep her inside for the night to keep her warm. Normally she sleeps outside with her husbun in the garage. They come into the house alot but have never slept inside (Freddie has when he had his op before we got Lillie and he hated it). I know this is going to stress all of us out and would love some hints and tips how to make this a pleasant experience for her. Would you bring them both in tonight or let Freddie sleep in his normal routine? :(

Try not to worry, I'm sure she'll be just fine. When we bring Scarlet in post dental we always bring Ori in too as they're both happier when they're together. Your bunny is going to be quite sore though as a dental is a bit different to surgery so I'd see what other people say. You could always bring them in but house them separately so they can see each other but your other bun can't bother her. Make sure the vet gives you pain relief to bring home, she'll probably have had an injection that will last 24 hours but she'll need more pain relief after that.
Check out this link from Sky-O's website, it has loads of info:
http://flashsplace.webs.com/havinganoperation.htm

Aww bless her!

I would bring her husbun in as well, just to minimise stress. Put them somewhere quiet and keep them calm, lots of hidey places ect ect.

After my boys ops I was told not to put them directly on hay for a few days until they had healed so maybe get busy shredding some paper?

Try not to worry, I'm sure she'll be just fine. When we bring Scarlet in post dental we always bring Ori in too as they're both happier when they're together. Your bunny is going to be quite sore though as a dental is a bit different to surgery so I'd see what other people say. You could always bring them in but house them separately so they can see each other but your other bun can't bother her. Make sure the vet gives you pain relief to bring home, she'll probably have had an injection that will last 24 hours but she'll need more pain relief after that.
Check out this link from Sky-O's website, it has loads of info:
http://flashsplace.webs.com/havinganoperation.htm

Thanks for that i found it very helpful.:)

Aww bless her!

I would bring her husbun in as well, just to minimise stress. Put them somewhere quiet and keep them calm, lots of hidey places ect ect.

After my boys ops I was told not to put them directly on hay for a few days until they had healed so maybe get busy shredding some paper?

Thankyou.:)

Nooooo

I wasn't given any pain relief following her op....i asked for some and was told there isnt any on the market for rabbits. . . i have been told to ring vets tomorrow and it she hasnt eaten, drank, pood or weeed they will see her. Is this right?:?

I wasn't given any pain relief following her op....i asked for some and was told there isnt any on the market for rabbits. . . i have been told to ring vets tomorrow and it she hasnt eaten, drank, pood or weeed they will see her. Is this right?:?

Oh no :( yes, keep an eye on her although when Poppy was spayed she didn't eat until the middle of the night so don't expect it straight away.

If you can, go back tomorrow and get some metacam, no it's not marketed for rabbits but the vet should know that cat and dog metacam can be used for bunnies. We had cat metacam for Poppy and Lola, it's a big operation and once the 24hour injection they will have hopefully given her is 'used up' she will be most likely be in pain :(

No, it's not right regarding pain relief. She may be ok but she's just had abdominal surgery. Assuming they gave her some pain relief by injection today she will be fine overnight though.
It is right regarding eating etc. though. You need to get her eating as soon as you can to keep her tummy going and make sure she has output in terms of both wee and poo.
The problem you can have is rabbits often don't eat when they are in pain and you need to get her eating to avoid her going into stasis.

Maybe someone can suggest a more rabbit savvy vet in your area if you create a post.

Try Beech House vets in High Green. They prescribe metacam for my little fella. They're brilliant. The other vets were trying to fob me off but once I'd explained to Alan there was no problem. Let me know if you'd like the number =)

Back