• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about Beatrix! Gas :( - Vet Update

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Beatrix has gas this morning. She had gas on Monday night too. I've given her metacam and infacol and given her a very gentle tummy massage. I stopped and let her hop off in peace as she was getting stressed. :( What on earth could be causing this?

She has always had a sensititve tummy but I cut out cabbage last year which seemed to be the culprit. Then this year she started having mucky botty so cut out all veggies and that sorted it. She has been so good tummy wise for ages now until this week :( This morning she has not had any brekkie or treats so can't be that.

Beatrix is a free range house bunny. It was very cold this morning when I woke up so put the heating on. Could that be it? Her ears didn't feel cold though... :(

Last edited:
Jane - it was okay yesterday/last night. The metacam has kicked in as she has stopped shaking (how she shows pain) and the gas must have passed as she has eat some hay and corriander. :) As this is the second time this week I'm going to take her into the vets today to get her checked out just in case. xxx

Rupert&Tia - Possibly I don't know as didn't see. :( Hopefully the vet can find out whats going on xx

Could hay be the cause? I got her and Darcy nomming more hay again by changing it to Oat Wheat & Barley (which they chose and love) but its been out of stock for the past two weeks and not expected for another week :(

I know the feeling. Doughnut keeps getting gas but this time it was with diarrhea so still getting tests done to see what it is.

Doughnut does eat so fast though and drink very quickly. She doesn't have veg either but I give her dill which she loves as that is good for gas. I'm also swapping her over from an egg cup of SS pellets to the vetcare digestion ones. They take longer to eat and so slows her down and have peppermint and fennel in them, both good for the tum. I'm trying everything so she doesn't keep getting it.

It may be the hay - Mine can't eat the oat wheat and barley hay, try giving just meadow hay.

Hope she's better soon!

I know how scary it is, as my Rupert has had two cases of gas now (but thankfully I think we know the cause of each and caught it quick so he got over it quickly).

Thinking of you xx

Thanks everyone for your vibes and thoughts and advice xxx

The vet couldn't feel a blockage in Beatrix but due to her history of GI Statis he gave her an injection of Emeprid and told me to keep giving metacam as and when she shows pain over the next few days. Teeth were fine thank heavens. He said her diet was fine so hopefully this will pass. No idea what caused it :(

I also took Darcy to get his teeth and eyes checked as he has had a watery down eye lately (his head is tilted right from Head Tilt years ago). Vet said his eyes and teeth were fine so its just one of those things. He def has no sight due to the cataracts :( I mentioned that Darcy's right hip seems worse lately and he said to give him a bit more metacam if he has a bad day during the winter months. :( The spondylosis and arthritis is horrible degenerative disease :(

Beatrix is still very quiet tonight :( She hasn't eaten anything but did drink earlier. She was sat on their heat pad for hours but is now in their tunnel. As shes not eating do I give Fibreplex? She had a gut stimulant at the vets today so not sure if I should wait and give fibreplex tomorrow? Shes not shaking which is how she shows pain so hopefully the metacam is still working. Any advice gratefully received xx :(

Sorry I missed this earlier, but adding my vibes now. xxx

I hope someone more experienced will be able to answer your question regarding the fibreplex.

Some one may say I am very wrong, but as you have had no other replies i would give her some fibreplex.
I am sure it is better for her to have somthing going through her gut.
I do hope she is better soon.

Some one may say I am very wrong, but as you have had no other replies i would give her some fibreplex.
I am sure it is better for her to have somthing going through her gut.
I do hope she is better soon.

Thanks rabbitapril. I just gave her more metacam, infacol and syringed water. I will wait another 30mins/1hr and then if still not eating I'll give her some fibreplex too. Bit nervous in case I overload her after the injection earlier.... But like you say another hour and then maybe its best to at least have something in there :( xx

Gave Beatrix Fibreplex, syringe fed water and Infacol at 3.30am. She is still not eating or drinking on her own :cry: Please send vibes

Thanks Tinsel and Captain Helen x Beatrix is better this morning. Still quiet for her but much better. She has nibbled some parsley, done a big wee and pooped. She also followed me to the toilet and inspected the hallway earlier too. She is snoozing with Darcy right now. I've not given her any meds yet today as she has improved and don't want to stress her. Paws crossed xxxxx

Oh no, sounds like you had a very stressful night. I am glad to hear Beatrix is eating now. Sending mega eating vibes and hope she is back to her old self soon.

Hope she continues to improve.

I always give fibreplex, although Doughnut has had so many meds recently. She's just on ranitidine now, but can't see any improvement.

Back