• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bath for Rufus

Rufus

Mama Doe
As he was still yellow from the time he lived with the two little boys (then supposed to be girls), I decided he needed a bath.
It was a scary experience and I would never recommend it if not really necessary.
Unfortunately, I could just as well not have bothered, because it didn't help, he's still yellow.:(
He did however enjoy the hot air fan. I put him in a small run and had the machine next to him (outside the run that is)
Then I used clippers to trim just the top of the yellow patches.
He looks slightly better now.

Don't worry, when he moults it will grow through the old colour.

I had to bath Molly once when he got wee'd on, he stank. He was not impressed.

Is he an indoor Rabbit ?

If not he really needs to be now if you have bathed him and clipped him.

don't worry, he's not bald, I took off only one mm from some of the yellow. It's only the top hair, you would not notice it.
And he's used to sit outside in the rain and snow.

When you bath a rabbit you're often going right down to skin and soaking the whole fur. When a bunny sits out in the rain the base of the fur keeps the rabbit dry (unless it's really dire conditions- in which case a rabbit shouldn't be out in them), so he wouldn't feel the cold and wet.

His fur won't be bone dry just yet if you've done this this morning so it would be better for him to allow to dry off the rest whilst inside in the warm- however you're probably going to need to keep him in until tomorrow now because by the time he is properly dry it will be later in the day and the temp will be dropping. When putting a bunny outside you're looking to do it at the mildest part of the day.

don't worry, he's not bald, I took off only one mm from some of the yellow. It's only the top hair, you would not notice it.
And he's used to sit outside in the rain and snow.

Probably best not to bath or clip him again then, just groom him daily and the staining will eventually grow out :)

Back