• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House rabbits and weeing on the bed?!

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
:oops: Don't know if this is just what Boris does but! He's free range in my room, has been for ages but a few weeks ago I re decorated and went from having a bunk bed which obviously he couldn't access to a single bed but it seems to be rather high and only recently has he shown interest in jumping up on it, he used to only do it if I was sat up on it and in a morning to wake me up! :lol: But the past few days I've gone in and he's been lied on a spot near the radiator and infront of the cushions, I bed is next to the window and he can walk on the window sill too and sometimes I've seen him through the window when getting on/off the college bus etc! :lol: I wonder what passer bys think if they look! :lol: Anyway the past three days I've got in to find he's weed on the spot he likes to lie! The first time was a huge puddle and bits everywhere :oops: Today was only a teeny bit but my mother is having a huge go at me about it, despite the fact I change them and put them in the washer and he's a rabbit, he can't exactly help it! But other then that he's perfectly litter trained, has never done anything anywhere else before! He litter trained himself even before he was neutered.

So I guess what I'm asking is does anyone elses housebun have a thing for weeing on the bed? :oops: Can he just not be bothered to move??

Bun loves weeing on pillows - specifically bed pillows (as opposed to sofa cushions....). In my head I imagine he just sits there and gets comfy like I do when I sit on the bog, so he decides it would be a nice comfy place to wee....

My lops did. Was expecting a problem with the lionheads but haven't yet. Managed to get the lops out of doing it with a few tactics. I covered the bed with a tarp when I wasn't in it. This made it easier to clean up and therefore I didn't get stressed. I think also the feel of it got them out of the habit. We also built a ramp as Mischa could get up but struggled getting down and either just wouldn't or would hurl himself off. Also I stopped linking the bed with food, so I'd get up, go out for a few minutes, then come back and feed them. After a couple of months it stopped completely.

Dotty (our free range giant) does it now and again.
Usually when she's jumped up for nose rubs and got comfortable and doesn't want to leave.

She went through a much more disturbing spell of whenever my wife was out if I dared to fall asleep without paying her enough attention she'd wake up making a 'waterfall' on my shoulder. Very unpleasant!

One thing that's worked well for us - if it soaks into your mattress get a spray bottle of 'Rug Doctor Urine Stain Carpet Cleaner' - they sell it in most supermarkets and homebase where they rent the rug doctor machines. This has enzymes in it that will really tackle the hidden scents and helped make dotty forget her view that certain spots were litter trays. It's not the cheapest at about £5 a bottle but really does seem to hide their scent where they've done their business.

:oops: Don't know if this is just what Boris does but! He's free range in my room, has been for ages but a few weeks ago I re decorated and went from having a bunk bed which obviously he couldn't access to a single bed but it seems to be rather high and only recently has he shown interest in jumping up on it, he used to only do it if I was sat up on it and in a morning to wake me up! :lol: But the past few days I've gone in and he's been lied on a spot near the radiator and infront of the cushions, I bed is next to the window and he can walk on the window sill too and sometimes I've seen him through the window when getting on/off the college bus etc! :lol: I wonder what passer bys think if they look! :lol: Anyway the past three days I've got in to find he's weed on the spot he likes to lie! The first time was a huge puddle and bits everywhere :oops: Today was only a teeny bit but my mother is having a huge go at me about it, despite the fact I change them and put them in the washer and he's a rabbit, he can't exactly help it! But other then that he's perfectly litter trained, has never done anything anywhere else before! He litter trained himself even before he was neutered.

So I guess what I'm asking is does anyone elses housebun have a thing for weeing on the bed? :oops: Can he just not be bothered to move??

I've always used vinegar but that sounds like a good thing for carpets and furnishings :thumb:

Spenser has only did this once. He did a wee in two separate places one night. I had been out rather a lot that week, so put it down to some kind of revenge.

Recently he has taken to weeing on the towel next to his basin on a very regular basis. I can't think why, as he has always been so good about his basin.

This was the highlight of my bridge buns day. She slept on my legs on the bed so I had to get a system sorted. She used to wee on my pillows (I have a double bed, thankfully she peed on the empty side of the bed pillows not the ones I had my head on!!!) so I had a rotation of clean pillows, pillows in the washing and drying pillows. I couldnt say no to her, one sad bunny face and thats it she was back on the bed having a snooze.
Luckily for me my current boys arent fans of the bed so dont have that problem anymore.

White Vinegar mixed with water is our weapon of choice for hard surfaces/floors.
But didn't fancy our mattress smelling of vinegar forever. Should work though.

I've always used vinegar but that sounds like a good thing for carpets and furnishings :thumb:

Your bed smells really strongly of you and they're scent marking it. Baby Jacob used to start scuffling the bed when he wanted to go down and have a wee. With the others I use a waterproof sheet, as used for children, and put that on top of the duvet and then blankets over that. When I go to bed I take off this sheet and blanket combination and put it back on in the morning. Then buns are happy and my bed doesn't smell of wee!;)

Our temporary bun did this once when he first arrived as he was marking his territory, we banned him from the bedroom after that as he was only staying a few days. Stephen and Nora have been good though so far!

Thankyou all for the replies. He hasn't done it today as far as I can tell!! He's sat up on it now but only cos he wants my attention and he can get closest to me on the chair at my desk from the bed :lol:

Back