• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hands up who thinks rabbits are Rodents

but honestly, how long ago did you discover this, the classification came in during the 20's but school was still classing them as rodents in the 70's and 80's at least . we had a big picture in the biology lab with all rodents on there, inc bunnies and hares

I only discovered a few years ago whilst reading about rabbits on wikipedia I think it mentions that they aren't rodents on there. Most people do seem to think they are rodents

I knew that, guinea pigs aren't either are they, they are cavies, or something :?

I seem to remember defending my small animals to my aunt say end they aren't vermin, or even rodents so I'm guessing I knew by very late nineties or early noughties.

Rabbits and hares were formerly classified in the order Rodentia (rodent) until 1912, when they were moved into a new order Lagomorpha. This order also includes pikas.

The above is courtesy of Wikipedia. Where else ... :roll::lol:

My husband, however, insists that they are rodents :roll:

Sometimes in the 90s I found out due to my animal fact file I was obsessed about :D
Though I think it was something to do with their teeth that makes them different, like the back teeth growing?

oh checked wiki and it's they are strict herbivorous and because they have four upper incisors rather than two.

Do they?

And now I'm looking at photos of pygmy and volcano rabbits :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmy_rabbit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcano_Rabbit

also something about a bone in their willy ?

Lagomorph literally means 'hare-shaped'. All lagomorphs have the peg teeth behind their front incisors.
All rodents have continously growing teeth, as do lagomorphs. Hence the need to chew constantly, and graze to wear the tooth enamel down.
Guinea pigs are still in the rodent catergory, though in the cavia genus.
Degus are Octodonts (still a rodent) so named as their back molars are a figure of 8 shaped.

Back