• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it that bad to have one rabbit ???

aprilla94

Young Bun
Hey, I was jw this is my first pet rabbit(that i take care of) is it bad if i only have one? they say they need company by other rabbits, but this is my frst and i dnt want to take to much on atm, as i have a rat, thats by herself atm, and shes fine, loves me too bits, out most the day when im home and majority of nights when i either return from my partners or work. (still deciding if i shld get another, might ask a friend to let me see how she goes with other rats, like temporary home one of her female breeders idn, shes just very territorial and had bonded with me very fast) anyways back on to Thor my dwarf lop, will it be cruel if its just me an him..... I just dnt wanna take too much on atm, as i have two other wonderful pets who i cant ignore and now a new bunny?? what shld i do, my sisters both have one each well megs has 2, that we will let play in the run together, but while its late will mine be okay having its own lil bedding/food/potty area??

I am new to having a pet bunny soo please dnt be harsh x:(

[ THEY WILL ALL BE NEUTERD/SPAYED FIRST]

Last edited:
I think you're doing an awesome job of navigating the road of getting a bunny and trying to do what's best for your bunny :)

A rabbit indoors doesn't need a friend as much as one who is outdoors, so your bunny could be totally content alone :) I have some indoor singles who are very happy by themselves (they are single because they don't appear to want to be bonded).

The risk with you taking on another is that you face the risk of them fighting and divorcing if you choose the bunny and not allow Thor to choose his new friend. I personally would keep him single, get him neutered and see how he is. If you keep him stimulated and happy then you could easily find he is fine by himself :)

I used to give out a lot of advice to people adopting from the RSPCA and that may be of use to you as well. It's on my website (the link is in my sig- Flash's Place) and under 'Rabbit Care Information' which you may find is really useful for you as a new owner :)

Louie has always been a single freeranging houserabbit and I would say he is very happy!

depends on the bun some are happier with a pal some are fine alone.

like sky-o said get him neutered then maybe try him with a rescue bun as if it dsnt work out and they dont become friends the rescue can take the bun back so you can try another bun until you find the right bun for your bun

If you spend plenty of time with him then I see no problem, we have 2 single indoors and Poppy is very happy on her own because she is in the same room as us. Leo is happy too but he's in a different room so doesn't get as much attention. Have him neutered so he doesn't start spraying and getting hormonal and see how he is :)

I'd wait and see, once hes neutered and everything if he's destructive because of bordem then I'd think about bonding him either with your sisters buns (if possible) or a different bun. I understand rescues are few and far between in Oz which makes it difficult, if you get from a rescue you can return the bun if they don't bond you can do that with a pet shop rabbit

We have two pairs and a female giant who lives on her own in our bedroom.

I would say that house rabbits can be perfectly happy as only buns, provided you (and your partner) have plenty of time to spend with him.
Daft little things with only bunnies like needing help to clean the gunk from the side of their eyes (something a bonded pair will normally do for eachother) has to be considered. Lots of toys and distractions, and a cosy place to sleep also help a lot.

Every bun is different - some take better to going solo than others in my opinion.

I would never recommend a sole bunny living outdoors though.

Hey, I was jw this is my first pet rabbit(that i take care of) is it bad if i only have one? they say they need company by other rabbits, but this is my frst and i dnt want to take to much on atm, as i have a rat, thats by herself atm, and shes fine, loves me too bits, out most the day when im home and majority of nights when i either return from my partners or work. (still deciding if i shld get another, might ask a friend to let me see how she goes with other rats, like temporary home one of her female breeders idn, shes just very territorial and had bonded with me very fast) anyways back on to Thor my dwarf lop, will it be cruel if its just me an him..... I just dnt wanna take too much on atm, as i have two other wonderful pets who i cant ignore and now a new bunny?? what shld i do, my sisters both have one each well megs has 2, that we will let play in the run together, but while its late will mine be okay having its own lil bedding/food/potty area??

I am new to having a pet bunny soo please dnt be harsh x:(

[ THEY WILL ALL BE NEUTERD/SPAYED FIRST]

when ever were home we let him out, and when out we come back a few times and check up on him, redo his water/food etc, and show affection to him. When he is out tho he always tries to get back in his lil home, we have set up atm, think he likes it, hes always binging around the place :) lol, doesnt like when i touch his stuff tho, and got some great things for him for xmas!, hes also getting his first needle soon, and he eats mostly hay, and pelettes :) treats after every big cleaing (every 2-3 days) litter cleaned every day, the treats rang from store brought ones, if so very little at a time and veggies :)

I have 3 bunnies, a couple and a single boy, Mr Bennett. He was bonded with my girl but the bond broke down. Mr Bennett has a history of broken bonds so he has been single since April and lives inside with us. I got a new bunny friend for my girl, as she hated being on her own. Where as Mr Bennett is unusual in not getting on with other rabbits.

He base is in the hallway but he spends most of his time with me. He sleeps in our bedroom and wakes me up by jumping on the bed in the morning. He is a happy and content bunny and is happy just for our company. Only problem is, if I am out for the day he sulks for hours after I get home.

By old boy is alone now, but he is a house rabbit and has free run upstairs at my mum's. My brother spends most of his free time in his room and my mum spoils him rotten and he seems to be coping fine. So I think if your rabbit has plenty of space indoors and has people for company it should be fine.

Outside rabbits should always have company tried, it does get cold, boring and lonely outside sometimes.

Rats however need friends, it's unusual for rats not to accept others or to want to be alone unless they've been kept alone a long time without choice, then sometimes it can take longer or be a bit more difficult, but it's still possible. With male rats neutering can help bondings or getting a pair of baby rats as they're not threatening, which I think your female will like two little female friends to snuggle up with. Rats don't cope like rabbits being alone, they go a bit strange.

By old boy is alone now, but he is a house rabbit and has free run upstairs at my mum's. My brother spends most of his free time in his room and my mum spoils him rotten and he seems to be coping fine. So I think if your rabbit has plenty of space indoors and has people for company it should be fine.

Outside rabbits should always have company tried, it does get cold, boring and lonely outside sometimes.

Rats however need friends, it's unusual for rats not to accept others or to want to be alone unless they've been kept alone a long time without choice, then sometimes it can take longer or be a bit more difficult, but it's still possible. With male rats neutering can help bondings or getting a pair of baby rats as they're not threatening, which I think your female will like two little female friends to snuggle up with. Rats don't cope like rabbits being alone, they go a bit strange.

Gypsy (my rat) is find she hasnt gone weird or anything, because i get her out every day and night, we tried with other rats, recently and she attacked the poor babys, parents adopted 2 young 7 week old rats the other day and didnt like them going near anything of hers. Im not going to stress my rat out just because other people have another opinion

It depends how much time you're going to spend with your bunny. I have a house bunny and we spend lots of time with him, and he seems to prefer human company to rabbit company - we've tried to bond him 3 times and he's not having it! He is very happy though, he flops and binkies! So if you're asking whether bunnies can be happy on their own, the answer is definitely yes!

But if your worry is that you won't have enough time, having two is actually better, as you won't need to keep them company yourself, they will have each other, so they will require much less of you.

Back