• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mistletoe- pm results, post 53

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Mistletoe is the REW nethie from the Aberdeen rescue of 17 bunnies. I found her this morning, off her food and very bloated. She has been to the vets twice with tummy issues since we got her and initially passed very mucosy poohs. She is very thin along her backbone and we have been trying to get some weight on her, which we have, but she is still underweight. Her teeth were checked and nothing obvious and she was booked in to be spayed and tooth checked but we had to cancel due to the suspected myxo outbreak. We hadn't got round to booking her in again, so I really hope it's nothing we could have prevented.
I'm very worried, the poor thing has had no real life yet, so I hope we can get her fixed and give her a life worth living.

Last edited:
Mistletoe is still not eating or poohing, she still very bloated but not as bad as this morning, her temp is still low.
I was offered to leave her at the vets overnight but our vets do not stay in the practice overnight so I opted to take her home. I'll leave her to settle, shr's next to a radiator to try and warm her up and I'll offer recovery/ baby food soon as well as give some tummy rubs.
In honesty, I have a bad feeling about this and I am concerned we will lose her, I've never seen such a bloated bunny. She's back in tomorrow morning, I just hope we can pull her through this.:(

So sorry :cry:

Have they ruled out coccidiosis? :?

We haven't started to look into anything yet.
Since her initial problems where she had 2 episodes of being off food and mucosy poohs, she's been doing well, proper poohs and eating like a horse- sitting at breakfast time waiting for her mix.

Did the Vet take an Xray/Ultrasound to exclude a full obstruction ?

A Blood Glucose test may be useful

What meds is she on and is she having SQ fluids ?

Really hope she can recover xx

Did the Vet take an Xray/Ultrasound to exclude a full obstruction ?

A Blood Glucose test may be useful

What meds is she on and is she having SQ fluids ?

Really hope she can recover xx

No x-rays or ultrasound today- so full of gas they will struggle to see anything.
She's had Metacam, metochlopromide, Zantac, sub cut fluids and fibreplex.
I'm supposed to syringe feed her but I am not a great fan of force feeding ( I've offered on a spoon but she's not really taken any). I think she has had a few spinach leaves and while rubbing her tummy you can hear gas moving.

Back