• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peeing all over cage

ancoal

New Kit
Stella (my 1-2 year old dwarf mix) was litter trained from the moment I brought her home from shelter. A few months ago (after the first time I brought her home to my parents house for the weekend) she began pooping outside the litter box. We live on the east coast in the U.S., and during the major hurricane we had a few weeks back, she began peeing all over her cage instead of in her litter box (the only part she avoids peeing on is the shelf in her cage, which she loves to lay on and eat hay on) I assumed that maybe this sudden peeing all over the floor of the cage was due to the storm. It had happened a few times before the storm, but maybe 1-2 times total. Since the hurricane she pees both inside and outside her litter box. I have tried putting straw mats on her floor cage, having her floor cage with no bedding on it at all, putting pillow cases down, etc... no matter what I do, she pees outside her litter box and the maintenance of cleaning her cage has literally become about 3 times more difficult. I find myself needing to clean her cage, top to bottom, 2-3 times PER DAY now, where as before I could empty her litter box once per day and clean her cage 1-2 times per week.

I am in desperate need of any advice that will help me re-litter train Stella. I don't even know if this is possible, but I am hoping all of you bunny experts will have some advice. I have tried moving the litter box and she simply pees somewhere else.

She is otherwise super happy and healthy at the moment, which I am very thankful for giving her tummy issues a month or so ago.

Is she spayed? If she is it sounds like the hurricane has, rightly so! unsettled her. There are some medical possibilities such as cystitis, is she drinking any more than usual? Is she able to get in and out of the box ok?

If she's spayed and definitely no health issues then you could try going over the cage and spraying with half and half white vinegar and water, making sure not to forget the outside of the litter tray. That will neutralise any smells that may be different to usual and unsettling her. Or you could try reducing her space for a while.

Is she spayed? If she is it sounds like the hurricane has, rightly so! unsettled her. There are some medical possibilities such as cystitis, is she drinking any more than usual? Is she able to get in and out of the box ok?

If she's spayed and definitely no health issues then you could try going over the cage and spraying with half and half white vinegar and water, making sure not to forget the outside of the litter tray. That will neutralise any smells that may be different to usual and unsettling her. Or you could try reducing her space for a while.

She is spayed, is not drinking any more or less than usual, is eating completely fine, and is running around very happy.

Back