• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Parsley Update - He had his Bulla operation UPDATE Post 23

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Parsley finally had the operation on his bulla today to try and tackle the huge and out of control infection in his inner/middle ear. (see various and numerous other threads about his experimental uses of abx:shock::shock:)

The bulla op. has been delayed several times as we tackled other issues (cancer), and prevaricated over such a big op, and then when we had decided to do it last week the three senior anaesthetist nurses were variously ill/pregnant/on compassionate leave. We couldn't leave it any longer as his infection was causing extreme anaemia so today we went for it . .

I did not post a thread this morning as we were all too nervous - and also in case people got fed up with me keep on posting that he is going to have the op. . .

The news came just now that he has come thrugh the op and round (though is heavily sedated and on a ketamin drip . . his favourite drug).

He cannot come home to us as he will need constant observation and drips etc through the night - and the vet does not want to leave him unattended at all or with less experienced vets/nurses, so our vet will be taking him home with her for constant attention and medication etc. and in case of emergencies so she is there with him (though cannot expect her to stay up all night!!!).

It is difficult not to have him here at this difficult time but we know he will be in good hands.

So Parsley will spend the night with the vet (who he is already convinced has a crush on him . . .:lol: )

Its obviously still a long haul to recovery (the infection was even worse than she had expected from the CT scan of 3 weeks ago) and an even longer haul to seeing if he can get back his proper blood count and beat the anaemia now the infection is gone, and then an even longer haul to see if the infection will nw stay away - or at least be under control.

But Stage 1 (the op.) is over . . and a 2cm diameter 'ball' of pus has been removed from inside his head.

(amazingly he ate a very hearty breakfast of forage - a pile about the size of himself - for breakfast before leaving for the op - finishing off with some apple sticks and two saucers of banana flavour baby food . . . . . hope the vet has a good stock of his favourite baby food in . . ;))

Last edited:
So pleased he is through the op. He is such a brave fellow, and a real character. I wouldn't be surprised if the vet did have a crush on him, and I certainly hope she is suitably supplied with his favourite noms for his sleepover.

Bless him, so pleased he came through the op safely. I bet he will feel a whole lot better with all that pus out of there...fingers crossed that he recovers well and that the op is a long-term success xx

So glad he is through the operation and totally understand how nervous you have been and will be over the next few days as he recovers from his ordeal. Your vet sounds amazing :love:

Sending huge recovery vibes for Parsley xx

Wonderful news that he's through the biggest hurdle.

Sending loads of vibes, not just to recover from the op but for an overall improvement in health to follow.

I am glad he got through today. It must of been such a worry whilst he was having the op. Hope Parsley makes a good recovery xxx

Oh my......poor Parsley has been through so much. I feel for you, this had to be a very draining morning for you all. But sounds like you have an awesome vet and that he's in the best possible hands till he can return to you. :)
I am certain Mimzy had a crush on his vet too. Sadly she left the practice in September and I have yet to find someone else I'd trust as implicitly with his care.

Sending bunches of healing and recuperating vibes for your dear bun and that he bounces back quickly and completely. :)
Huge hugs to you. (((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))) So glad that this part of Parsley's journey is complete and his road to better health is moving forward. :love:

Back