• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

Julialarubia

Warren Scout
Hello, is it too late to get Cookie to use a tray? We haven't had her long and she goes in two specific places in her hutch. Do you think she is too old (about a year, though I don't know specifically) to train to use a tray. Would love to buy her a pink one? J:oops:

Is she neutered cos that helps a lot. If she already has chosen two spots it should be quite easy in theory. I tend to use underbed storage boxes as they are nice and deep and then put in lots of newspaper with a big pile of hay on top. Cat litter trays work ok but I found they tended to tiddle over the sides as they're much lower, plus I couldn't get so much hay in. They tend to go where they eat hay.

All the buns we have all start using litter trays, no matter their age, some straight away, others after a few weeks.

Thanks; have just ordered a nice pink one and will try that. I did try a cat litter tray but she didn't use that.

Remove all hay from cage. Place hay rack right next to litter tray. Place small piece of newspaper on litter tray, covered with old hay so the bun won't eat it. Place new hay on the hay rack next to litter tray so bun hops onto the tray to eat from the hay rack. If bun poops outside of litter tray, place the poop in the tray, and scrub any **** with white wine vinegar.

Changing tray. Clean it but keep a little of the newspaper. Place inside new newspaper, and add a clean batch of old hay. Place new hay in hay rack.

This method works if your entire cage isn't covered with hay to confuse the bun.

Back