• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are Boys best

Leelow

Young Bun
hey guys I am looking at getting a male rabbit only because I dont like the doe laps the females get, and it will safer to get males spayed.
Also I have falling in love with the name Oreo and it's more of a males name

They should prefereably be kept in netuered pairs anyway, so why don't you get one of each? Not all rabbits get dew laps, if they're spayed early, and aren't overweight - I have a spayed doe and she doesn't have a big dew lap - she is a bit more rounded there, but you can't see it unless shes puffed into a ball when she's cold

My little girl doesn't have a dewlap. Generally it is thought that boys are a little more friendly and neuters are smaller and safer operations. However you need to consider having a friend for your rabbit and opposite sex pairs are best so you'll more than likely have a girl too in the future!

I have 3 spayed does and 3 currently unspayed does and none have the large dew Lap at all :)

My boy bun is probably the biggest cuddlebun I have :love:

I think its more down to the personality of each bun :)

hey everyone

atm the breed of rabbit i want the only one i can get might be female but is a netherland dwarf which doesnt get dew lops anyway and I can still call it Oreo because its black

atm the breed of rabbit i want the only one i can get might be female but is a netherland dwarf which doesnt get dew lops anyway and I can still call it Oreo because its black

From your other posts I thought you wanted to bond your rabbit with your sister's rabbit - in which case you would be better with one of the opposite sex and for them both to be neutered.

My boy has a little dewlap, my girl has no dewlap.... Both are healthy weights! Even if you get a boy he could still have a bit one! There's nothing wrong with a dewlap either, just a little extra to cuddle :lol:

my wife is a bit sexist and Ear-ist when it comes to rabbits, she only will have males ( always neutered) as she says they are more friendly and less destructive and also does not like the dewlaps. We have had 3 pairs of bonded males so it can work.

Ear-ist , she also only likes the ones with the pointy down ears ( lops)

my wife is a bit sexist and Ear-ist when it comes to rabbits, she only will have males ( always neutered) as she says they are more friendly and less destructive and also does not like the dewlaps. We have had 3 pairs of bonded males so it can work.

my experience is that males are sweeter. Females have hormone swings (you can neuter but it's expensive) Females dig holes so that's not always wanted.

I'm an Ear-ist too :lol: (nice word) but I do have 3 with standing ears. There was a time when I thought upright ears look funny, though it's normal :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

She hasn't met Biscuit :)

my experience is that males are sweeter. Females have hormone swings (you can neuter but it's expensive) Females dig holes so that's not always wanted.

Spaying a female is just as, if not more, important than males as female rabbits have a huge tendency to uterine cancer which can easily spread.

Neither of my girls have dewlaps and yes, Nutmeg is a bit (very) scatterbrained but Mini very rarely gets grumpy. My boy Mischa will always be my heart bunny, the one I was closest too, but my girls can be loving too.

Digging holes is often due to hormones and tends to stop after spaying. My BOY is the worst for digging carpet!

From your other posts I thought you wanted to bond your rabbit with your sister's rabbit - in which case you would be better with one of the opposite sex and for them both to be neutered.

Both are getting neutered and Im not sure if Ill just get a partner for my rabbit after I have bonded with mine first
each rabbit is different it might like being on its OWN

Just letting people know

I have always liked having male animals, because to me they seem more tamed and caring, as well i am not sure if I want to bond with my sisters rabbit because her one is soo happy on its own because my sister is always playing with it like I will be with mine.

And EVERY bunny is different

Only very rarely does a rabbit not enjoy its own kinds company over a human.

Do i sense you dont really want two?

yeah

Only very rarely does a rabbit not enjoy its own kinds company over a human.

Do i sense you dont really want two?

I havnt had my own pet since I was 8 and I never knew what I was doing so mum looked after it and my local vet said for my first home rabbit (indoor) it will be best for me to have only one. And I only work part time so i have to also think about cost I know I can afford to have one including vet bills and extras

Back